The Advancement of Learning: Building the Teaching Commons
September 2005, Jossey-Bass
The Advancement of Learning answers questions readers are likely to have:
- What are the defining elements of the scholarship of teaching and learning?
- What traditions does it build on?
- What are its distinctive claims and possibilities?
- What are the implications of the scholarship of teaching and learning for academic culture and careers?
- How does it shape the student experience?
Pat Hutchings is vice president of The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
“I believe that the scholarship of teaching and learning is the most promising development in higher education today, and that this book is the best thing that could ever happen to it. Rather than engage in cheerleading, the authors calmly describe and characterize what is happening; and they do so with an honesty, empathy, and eye for detail that allows the movement to speak for itself. They introduce us to what real faculty are doing and take the view that all these varied activities belong in the ‘commons.’ More than just a book, this is an invitation to participate.”--Russ Edgerton, director, Pew Forum on Undergraduate Teaching; president emeritus, AAHE
The Advancement of Learning: Building the Teaching Commons (US $38.00)
Total List Price: US $78.00
Discounted Price: US $58.50 (Save: US $19.50)