Educating for Democracy: Preparing Undergraduates for Responsible Political Engagement
November 2007, Jossey-Bass
1. Citizenship, Politics, and Civic Engagement.
2. The Role of Higher Education In Preparing Citizens.
3. The Open Inquiry Imperative.
4. Creating Environments of Open Inquiry.
5. Teaching for Political Knowledge and Understanding.
6. Teaching Democratic Participation Skills.
7. Fostering Political Motivation.
8. Learning Through Discussion and Deliberation.
9. Learning Through Political Research and Action Projects.
10. Learning Through Speakers and Mentors.
11. Learning Through Placements, Internships, and Service Learning.
12. Learning Through Structured Reflection.
13. Putting the Pieces Together.
Appendix A: Course and Program Summaries.
Appendix B: Survey Scales and Results.
Anne Colby is a senior scholar at The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Elizabeth Beaumont is assistant professor of political science at the University of Minnesota.
Thomas Ehrlich is a senior scholar at The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Josh Corngold is a doctoral student in the philosophy of education at Stanford University.
Anne Colby, Thomas Ehrlich, and Elizabeth Beaumont, along with Jason Stephens, are the coauthors of Educating Citizens, published by Jossey-Bass in 2003.
“Educating for Democracy [offers] not only a vision but an incisive program of political engagement poised to address the concerns of disengaged youth. The principal motivation for the book is that undergraduate education is one of the most valuable venues to address political engagement.... Colby, Beaumont, Ehrlich, and Corngold make a persuasive case that the undergraduate experience provides a significant pathway to political engagement that has the promise to shift the political discourse for the millennial generation.” Dilafruz R. Williams, professor of Educational Policy, Foundations, and Administrative Studies, Portland State University, for Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, Spring 2008
Educating for Democracy: Preparing Undergraduates for Responsible Political Engagement (US $45.00)
Total List Price: US $80.00
Discounted Price: US $60.00 (Save: US $20.00)