The Trouble With Black Boys: ...And Other Reflections on Race, Equity, and the Future of Public Education
March 2008, Jossey-Bass
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Part One: The Student Experience.
1. Joaquin’s Dilemma: Understanding the Link Between Racial Identity and School-Related Behaviors.
2. The Trouble with Black Boys: The Impact of Social and Cultural Forces on the Academic Achievement of African American Males.
3. And What Will Become of Children Like Miguel Fernández?/Y Qué Pasará Con Jóvenes Como Miguel Fernández? Education, Immigration, and the Future of Latinos in the United States.
4. How Listening to Students Can Help Schools to Improve.
Part Two: The Search for Equity.
5. Latino Youth: Immigration, Education, and the Future.
6. Preventing and Producing Violence: A Critical Analysis of Responses to School Violence.
7. Schools, Prisons, and Social Implications of Punishment: Rethinking Disciplinary Practices.
8. Racial Politics and the Elusive Quest for Excellence and Equity in Education.
Part Three: The Schools We Need.
9. Reclaiming the Promise of Public Education With Alan Blankstein.
10. Standards for What? Accountability for Whom? Rethinking Standards-Based Reform in Public Education.
11. Racial Isolation, Poverty, and the Limits of Local Control as a Means for Holding Public Schools Accountable.
12. Transforming Urban Schools Through Investments in Social Capital.
Notes and References.
Epilogue: Joaquin’s Dilemma Revisited.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
The Trouble With Black Boys: ...And Other Reflections on Race, Equity, and the Future of Public Education (US $24.95)
-and- Unfinished Business: Closing the Racial Achievement Gap in Our Schools (US $18.95)
Total List Price: US $43.90
Discounted Price: US $32.92 (Save: US $10.98)