Protect Your Child from Bullying: Expert Advice to Help You Recognize, Prevent, and Stop Bullying Before Your Child Gets Hurt
March 2008, Jossey-Bass
Protect Your Child from Bullying will show you how to:
- Read the tell-tale warning signs that your child is being victimized
- Understand the characteristics that make a child an easy target
- Tell the difference between normal conflict and bullying
- Take action when your child is the target of bullying
- Help prevent cyberbullying
- Give your child a solid foundation for dealing with situations that involve bullying
- Show your child how to take action as an empowered bystander when others are being mistreated
- Help your child develop a strong sense of acceptance and belonging
About the Author.
1. The Nature of Bullying.
2. Warning Signs.
3. Possible Causes of Bullying.
4. Giving Your Child a Good Start.
5. Promoting Your Child's Acceptance.
6. Helping Your Bullied Child.
7. Preventing Cyberbullying.
8. Neighborhood Bullying.
9. Supportive Tips for Siblings.
10. When Your Child Bullies Others.
11. When Your Child Is a Bystander
12. Why Some Victims Retaliate, Self-Harm, or Commit Suicide.
13. Working with Your Child's School.
Appendix A: Child Review Questions.
Appendix B: Mental Health Resources.
Allan L. Beane, Ph.D., a former classroom teacher, is an internationally recognized expert, speaker, and consultant on the subject of bullying with more than 30 years of experience in education. He is also the author of several anti-bullying books and resources, including the bestselling The Bully Free Classroom. For more information, go to www.bullyfree.com.