Community Economics: Linking Theory and Practice, 2nd Edition
April 2004, Wiley-Blackwell
The main body of economic research and literature has neglected the economics of smaller communities. Community Economics: Linking Theory and Practice fills that information void. This text serves as a comprehensive guide on smaller, open economies and urban neighborhoods for economists, regional planners, rural sociologists, and geographers. Additionally, Community Economics is an issue-oriented handbook of development strategies for development practitioners, planning and zoning officials, and others involved in the ay-to-day activities of community economic development.
Section I: Community Economic Development Theory.
1. Defining Community Economic Development.
2. Growth Theory.
3. Space and Community Economics.
4. Concepts of Community Markets..
Section II: Community Factor Markets.
5. Land Markets.
6. Labor Markets.
7. Financial Capital Markets.
8. Technology and Innovation.
9. Nonmarket Goods and Services: Amenities.
10. Local Government and Public Goods..
Section III: Institutions and the Art of Community Economics.
11. Institutions and Society.
12. Policy Modeling and Decision-Making.
13. The Practice of Community Economic Development..
Section IV: Tools of Community Economics.
14. Descriptive Tools of Community Economic Analysis.
15. Inferential Tools of Community Economic Analysis: fixed-Price Models.
16. Inferential Tools of Community Economic Analysis: Price: Endogenous Models.
17. Looking to the Future.
Steve Deller is a Professor, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison/Extension.
Dave Marcouiller is a Professor, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Wisconsin-Madison/Extension.
"Not unlike the original edition, Community Economics will find a place in the classroom...for it is, simply put, as good grounding in economic theory placed in a practical context as any I have read."
Mark B. Lapping, University of Southern Maine in Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 46, No.4, 2006