Dairy Ingredients for Food Processing
March 2011, Wiley-Blackwell
After introductory chapters which present the chemical, physical, functional and microbiological characteristics of dairy ingredients, the book addresses the technology associated with the manufacture of the major dairy ingredients, focusing on those parameters that affect their performance and functionality in food systems. The popular applications of dairy ingredients in the manufacture of food products such as dairy foods, bakery products, processed cheeses, processed meats, chocolate as well as confectionery products, functional foods, and infant and adult nutritional products, are covered in some detail in subsequent chapters. Topics are presented in a logical and accessible style in order to enhance the usefulness of the book as a reference volume.
It is hoped that Dairy Ingredients for Food Processing will be a valuable resource for members of academia engaged in teaching and research in food science; regulatory personnel; food equipment manufacturers; and technical specialists engaged in the manufacture and use of dairy ingredients.
- Contemporary description of dairy ingredients commonly used in food processing operations
- Focus on applications of dairy ingredients in various food products
- Aimed at food professionals in R&D, QA/QC, manufacturing and management
- World-wide expertise from over 20 noted experts in academe and industry
1. Dairy Ingredients for Food Processing: An Overview (Ramesh C. Chandan).
2. Chemical, Physical, and Functional Characteristics of Dairy Ingredients (Stephanie R. Pritchard and Kasipathy Kailasapathy).
3. Microbiological Aspects of Dairy Ingredients (Michael Rowe and John Donaghy).
4. Processing Principles of Dairy Ingredients (Arun Kilara).
5. Concentrated Fluid Milk Ingredients (Nana Y. Farkye and Shakeel ur-Rehman).
6. Dry Milk Ingredients (Mary Ann Augustin and Phillip Terence Clarke).
7. Casein, Caseinates, and Milk Protein Concentrates (Mary Ann Augustin, Christine Oliver, and Yacine Hemar).
8. Whey-based Ingredients (Lee Huffman and Lilian de Barros Ferreira).
9. Butter and Butter Products (Anna M. Fearon).
10. Principles of Cheese Technology (Ramesh C. Chandan and Rohit Kapoor).
11. Manufacturing Outlines and Applications of Selected Cheese Varieties (Ramesh C. Chandan and Rohit Kapoor).
12. Enzyme-modified Dairy Ingredients (Arun Kilara and Ramesh C. Chandan).
13. Fermented Dairy Ingredients (Junus Salampessy and Kasipathy Kailasapathy).
14. Functional Ingredients from Dairy Fermentations (Ebenezer R. Vedamuthu).
15. Dairy-based Ingredients: Regulatory Aspects (Dilip A. Patel).
16. Nutritive and Health Attributes of Dairy Ingredients (Ramesh C. Chandan).
17. Dairy Ingredients in Dairy Food Processing (Tonya C. Schoenfuss and Ramesh C. Chandan).
18. Dairy Ingredients in Bakery, Snacks, Sauces, Dressings, Processed Meats, and Functional Foods (Ramesh C. Chandan).
19. Dairy Ingredients in Chocolate and Confectionery Products (Jorge Bouzas and Steven Hess).
20. Dairy Ingredients in Infant and Adult Nutrition Products (Nagendra Rangavajala, Steven Dimler, and Jeffery Baxter).
Arun Kilara, Ph.D., also a food science consultant, has long established expertise in teaching and research in dairy food science at Penn State University and is very well known for his contribution in the area of dairy ingredients. He has edited two books on dairy food science.