Dental Management of Sleep Disorders
December 2009, Wiley-Blackwell
Section 1 OVERVIEW OF SLEEP MEDICINE.
1. Impact of sleep disorders on society.
2. Human sleep.
3. Classification of sleep disorders.
4. Pediatrics and sleep-related breathing disorders
5 Medical and dental conditions related to sleep-related breathing disorders
Section 2 ASSESSMENT OF THE SLEEP-RELATED BREATHING DISORDER PATIENT.
6. Sleep assessment/studies.
7. Evaluation by the dentist.
8. Imaging for sleep-related breathing disorders.
Section 3 MANAGEMENT OF THE SLEEP-RELATED BREATHING DISORDER PATIENT.
9. Positive airway pressure therapy for sleep-related breathing disorders.
10. Surgical treatment for sleep-related breathing disorders.
11. Oral appliance therapy for sleep-related breathing disorders.
Appendix 1: Abbreviations for sleep medicine.
Appendix 2: Glossary of terms for sleep medicine.
Dr. Dennis R. Bailey, DDS is a diplomate of the American Board of Orofacial Pain and past President of the Academy Dental Sleep Medicine. His private practice focuses on sleep apnea, snoring, TMD, and sleep disorders in adults and children.
- Provides basic foundational knowledge including physiology and pathophysiology of sleep related breathing disorders
- Contextualizes the dentist’s role as a part of the medical team
- Discusses the full range of medical and dental treatment approaches to the most common sleep related breathing disorders
- Includes detailed discussion of clinical applicability of oral appliance therapy