Packaging for Nonthermal Processing of Food
May 2007, Wiley-Blackwell
Packaging for Nonthermal Processing of Food reviews typical nonthermal processes, the characteristics of food products after nonthermal treatments, and packaging parameters to preserve the quality and enhance the food safety of the products. In addition, the critical role of information carried by packaging materials to make a new product produced by a novel process attractive to consumers is discussed. Packaging for Nonthermal Processing of Food offers many benefits to industry for providing the practical information on the relationship between new processes and packaging materials, to academia for constructing the fundamental knowledge, and to regulatory agencies for acquiring deeper understanding on the packaging requirements for new processes.
Jung H. Han.
2. The role of active packaging in non-thermal processing.
Aaron L. Brody.
3. Edible coatings containing bioactive antimicrobial agents.
Seacheol Min and John M. Krochta.
4. Bio-MAP: Modified atmosphere packaging with biological control for shelf-life extension.
James T. C. Yuan.
5. Packaging for high pressure processing, irradiation, and pulsed electric field processing.
Seacheol Min, and Q. Howard Zhang.
6. Packaging for foods treated by ionizing radiation.
7. Radio frequency identification (RFID) systems for packaged foods.
Jung H. Han, Arnold W. Hydamaka and Yicheng Zong.
8. Consumer choice: Responses to new packaging technologies.
Kevin C. Spencer and Joan C. Junkus.
9. European standpoint to active packaging – legislation, authorization and compliance testing.
W. D. van Dongen, A.R. de Jong and M.A.H. Rijk.
10. Packaging for nonthermal food processing: future.
Jung H. Han.
- Novel thermal and nonthermal processing methods
- Discusses benefits for providing the practical information on
the relationship between new processes and packaging
- Addresses how to best package commodities produced using a variation of processes to best preserve the benefits of product quality
FS&T Vol 21, Issue 3