Finfish and Shellfish Bacteriology Manual: Techniques and Procedures
October 2003, Wiley-Blackwell
Methods are presented for the isolation and identification of
bacterial pathogens in fish and shellfish and zoonotic pathogens in
shellfish. The step-by-step presentation of procedures guides
students in aquatic health and newcomers to the diagnostic
laboratory, while providing a refresher course for the more
experienced laboratory employee. Numerous tables and illustrations
further assist readers.
Thorough coverage of basic bacteriological techniques ensures that even the inexperienced aquatic health diagnostician will need no additional resources. The effective, easy-to-follow organization of the Finfish and Shellfish Bacteriology Manual make it the primary sourcebook for any laboratory. Whether it’s used as an occasional quick reference by the experienced fish diagnostician, or as a tool to build diagnostic capabilities from the ground up, this book rises to the challenge.
1. Finfish Bacteriology.
2. Sample Collection to Detect Bacterial Infection in Finfish.
3. Packaging Fish for Transport.
4. Aseptic Bacterial Examination of Finfish.
5. Shellfish Bacteriology.
6. Sample Collection to Detect Bacterial Infection in Shellfish.
7. Sampling and Packaging Bivalves and Crustaceans for Transport.
8. Aseptic Bacterial Examination of Bivalves.
9. Aseptic Bacterial Examination of Lobsters.
10. Diagnostic Methodology in Finfish and Shellfish Bacteriology.
11. Interpretation of Diagnostic Tests.
12. Bacteriology Culture Media.
13. Pure-Culture Techniques.
14. Staining Methods.
15. Colony Identification.
16. Biochemical Activities of Bacteria.
18. Antibiotic Testing.
19. Specific Techniques Used for Finfish Bacteriology.
20. Specific Techniques Used for Shellfish Bacteriology.
21. Enumeration of Bacteria by the Plate Count Technique.
22. Public Health Indicator Oganisms in Bivalves.
· Step-by-step presentation of procedures
· Numerous tables and illustrations
· Accompanying CD-ROM with color images