Environmental Best Management Practices for Aquaculture
April 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
The rapid growth of aquaculture worldwide and domestically has
caused concerns over social and environmental impacts.
Environmental advocacy groups and government regulatory agencies
have called for better management to address potentially negative
impacts and assure sustainable aquaculture development. Best
Management Practices (BMPs) combine sound science, common sense,
economics, and site-specific management to mitigate or prevent
adverse environmental impacts.
Environmental Best Management Practices for Aquaculture will provide technical guidance to improve the environmental performance of aquaculture. This book will be the only comprehensive guide to BMPs for mitigation of environmental impacts of aquaculture in the United States. The book addresses development and implementation of BMPs, BMPs for specific aquaculture production systems, and the economics of implementing best management practices. Written by internationally recognized experts in environmental management and aquaculture from academia, government, and non-governmental organizations, this book will be a valuable reference for innovative producers, policy makers, regulators, research scientists, and students.
United States Aquaculture Society Preface.
1. Aquaculture and the Environment in the United States (Craig S. Tucker, John A. Hargreaves, and Claude E. Boyd).
2. The Role of Better Management Practices in Environmental Management (Jason W. Clay).
3. Better Management Practices in International Aquaculture (Claude E. Boyd).
4. Best Management Practice Programs and Initiatives in the United States (Gary L. Jensen and Paul W. Zajicek).
5. Development, Implementation, and Verification of Better Management Practices for Aquaculture (Claude E. Boyd, Paul W. Zajicek, John A. Hargreaves, and Gary L. Jensen).
6. Better Management Practices for Freshwater Pond Aquaculture (Craig S. Tucker, John A. Hargreaves, and Claude E. Boyd).
7. Better Management Practices for Marine Shrimp Aquaculture (Claude E. Boyd).
8. Better Management Practices for Net-Pen Aquaculture (Sebastian M. Belle and Colin E. Nash).
9. Better Management Practices for Flow-through Aquaculture Systems (Gary Fornshell and Jeffrey M. Hinshaw).
10. Better Management Practices for Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (Steven T. Summerfelt and Brian J. Vinci).
11. Better Management Practices for Bivalve Molluscan Aquaculture (R. LeRoy Creswell and Aaron A. McNevin).
12. Fish Health Management and the Environment (Scott E. LaPatra and John R. MacMillan).
13. Economics of Aquaculture Better Management Practices (Carole R. Engle and G. Ada Wossink).
John A. Hargreaves was formerly an Associate Professor at the Aquaculture Research Station of the Louisiana State University Agricultural Center.
- Valuable source of information for developing sustainable aquaculture
- Technical guidance on practical approaches to developing and implementing best management practices in aquaculture
- Provides information on best management practices for specific aquaculture production systems
- Covers the economics of implementing best management practices
- Written by internationally recognized experts in environmental management and aquaculture
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Environmental Best Management Practices for Aquaculture (US $228.95)
-and- Species and System Selection for Sustainable Aquaculture (US $275.95)
Total List Price: US $504.90
Discounted Price: US $378.67 (Save: US $126.23)