Veterinary Echocardiography, 2nd Edition
January 2011, Wiley-Blackwell
The Second Edition has been restructured to be more user-friendly, with chapters on acquired and congenital heart diseases broken down into shorter disease-specific chapters. Key changes include the addition of normal tissue Doppler technique, as well as five new appendices, covering topics such as normal reference ranges and an exam checklist. Veterinary Echocardiography, Second Edition builds on the success of the previous edition to provide complete information on obtaining echocardiograms in veterinary medicine.
CHAPTER 1 THE PHYSICS OF ULTRASOUND.
TRANSDUCERS AND RESOLUTION.
CHAPTER 2 THE TWO-DIMENSIONAL ECHOCARDIOGRAPHIC EXAM.
TWO-DIMENSIONAL IMAGING CONTROLS.
CHAPTER 3 THE M-MODE AND DOPPLER EXAMINATION.
TISSUE DOPPLER IMAGING.
CHAPTER 4 EVALUATION OF SIZE, FUNCTION, AND HEMODYNAMICS.
MEASUREMENT AND ASSESSMENT OF TWO-DIMENSIONAL IMAGES.
MEASUREMENT AND ASSESSMENT OF M-MODE IMAGES.
MEASUREMENT AND ASSESSMENT OF SPECTRAL DOPPLER FLOW.
MEASUREMENT AND ASSESSMENT OF TISSUE DOPPLER IMAGING.
EVALUATION OF COLOR-FLOW DOPPLER.
EVALUATION OF VENTRICULAR FUNCTION.
HEMODYNAMIC INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ECHOCARDIOGRAPHIC EXAMS.
CHAPTER 5 ACQUIRED VALVULAR DISEASE.
CHAPTER 6 HYPERTENSIVE HEART DISEASE.
CHAPTER 7 MYOCARDIAL DISEASES.
DYNAMIC RIGHT VENTRICULAR OUTFLOW OBSTRUCTION.
RIGHT VENTRICULAR CARDIOMYOPATHY.
ARRHYTHMOGENIC RIGHT VENTRICULAR CARDIOMYOPATHY.
CHAPTER 8 PERICARDIAL DISEASE, EFFUSIONS, AND MASSES.
NEOPLASIA AS A CAUSE OF PERICARDIAL EFFUSION.
CHAPTER 9 CONGENITAL SHUNTS AND AV VALVE DYSPLASIA.
VENTRICULAR SEPTAL DEFECT.
PATENT DUCTUS ARTERIOSUS.
RIGHT TO LEFT SHUNTING PDA.
ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECTS.
ENDOCARDIAL CUSHION DEFECTS.
ATRIOVENTRICULAR VALVE DYSPLASIA.
CHAPTER 10 STENOTIC LESIONS.
TETRALOGY OF FALLOT.
Appendix 1: Bovine.
Appendix 2: Canine.
Appendix 3: Equine.
Appendix 4: Feline.
Appendix 5: Miscellaneous Species.
- Fully revised edition of the classic text in veterinary echocardiography, now thoroughly updated to address advances in technology
- Covers the technical aspects of obtaining two-dimensional, M-mode, and Doppler examinations in both small and large domestic species, with accompanying pictures to demonstrate these techniques
- Includes coverage of echocardiographic examination assessment and echocardiographic features of common cardiac diseases, including acquired valvular diseases, features of systemic and pulmonary hypertension, myopathies, pericardial effusion and cardiac masses, congenital shunts, and stenotic lesions
- Key points in the text regarding technique and diagnostic criteria are drawn out in text boxes and tables for easy and quick reference
- Offers detailed guidelines for using and interpreting diagnostic echocardiograms
- Provides a comprehensive reference and instruction manual for echocardiographers of all experience levels
“This is a welcome update. To my knowledge, there is no other book dedicated solely to veterinary echocardiography.” (Doody’s, 29 June 2012)
“June A. Boon’s Veterinary Echocardiography (978081382850, $149.99) appears in a fully revised second updated edition to provide an in-depth reference to the ultrasound of the heart.” (The Midwest Book Review, 1 January 2012)