September 2009, Wiley-Blackwell
Part I: Introduction to Primatology and Virology.
1 Classification of Nonhuman Primates.
2 Principles of Virology.
Part II: Simian Viruses and Nonhuman Primate Models of Viral Infections.
Introduction to Part II.
Section 1: RNA Viruses.
Section 1.1: Simian Retroviruses.
Introduction to Retroviruses.
3 Lentiviruses in Their Natural Hosts.
4 Lentivirus AIDS Models.
5 Origins of Epidemic Forms HIV-1 and HIV-2.
Section 1.2: Other Simian RNA Viruses.
Section 2: DNA Viruses.
Section 2.1: Simian Herpesviruses.
Introduction to Herpesviruses.
Section 2.2: Other Simian DNA Viruses.
Section 3: Miscellaneous RNA and DNA Viruses.
22 Miscellaneous Viruses.
Section 4: Experimental and Natural Infection of Nonhuman Primates with Nonsimian Viruses.
23 Experimental Infection of Nonhuman Primates with Viruses of Medical Importance.
24 Natural Infection of Nonhuman Primates with Nonsimian Viruses.
Preston A. Marx, Jr., PhD is Professor of Tropical Medicine, Tulane National Primate Research Center, Covington, Louisiana.
- First text to comprehensively cover all currently known simian viruses
- Provides an overview of nonhuman primate models of medically important viral diseases as well as natural infections of nonhuman primates with human and animal viruses
- Introductory chapters cover primate taxonomy, virology basics, and general properties of retroviruses and herpesviruses
- Details the history, classification and structure, pathogenesis and infection, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of simian viruses
- Valuable tool for research virologists, conservationists, primate and zoo veterinarians, and students
“Simian Virology is a comprehensive text covering the biology of viruses whose natural hosts are simian species…The authors of the text are each noted researchers in the field of simian retrovirology.” (JAALAS, January 2010)
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Simian Virology (US $263.99)
Total List Price: US $365.98
Discounted Price: US $274.48 (Save: US $91.50)