Handbook of Meat, Poultry and Seafood Quality
March 2007, Wiley-Blackwell
- sensory attributes
- water activity
Editor Nollet heads a stellar editorial team and leads an international collection of over 60 expert contributors from government, industry, and academia in covering the key factors affecting the quality of beef, pork, poultry and fish and presenting them in a single source.
1. Muscle foods quality factors.
2. Processed muscle foods definitions and standards.
3. US HACCP for muscle foods.
Part II: Sensory attributes of muscle foods.
4. History, background and objectives of sensory evaluation in muscle foods.
5. Chemistry and biochemistry of color in muscle foods.
6. Sensory: human biology and physiology.
7. Sensory methodology for muscle foods.
8. Objective methods of sensory analysis.
9. Attributes of muscle foods: color, texture, flavor..
Part III: Flavors.
10. Sensory characterization.
11. Chemical characterization.
12. Chemistry, technology, and safety of synthetic flavors.
13. Process Flavors.
14. Savory Flavors.
15. Natural Flavors.
16. Wood Smoke Flavor.
17. Blended Flavors.
18. Off-flavors and Rancidity in Foods.
19. Land animal products.
20. Marine animal and plant products.
21. Maillard reaction in flavor generation.
22. Traditional Laboratory Methods.
23. Recent developments in flavor measurements.
Part IV: Beef quality.
24. Sensory evaluation of beef flavor.
25. Beef quality and tainting.
26. Microbiological and sensory properties of beef microbiology.
27. Quality measurements in beef.
28. Shelf-life of meats.
29. Packaging and freezing of beef as related to sensory properties.
Part V: Pork: fresh and frozen.
30. Fresh and frozen pork color.
31. Microbiological and sensory properties of fresh and frozen pork products.
32. Pork tainting.
33. Shelf life of fresh and frozen pork.
Part VI: Poultry: fresh and frozen.
34. General attributes of fresh and frozen poultry meat.
35. Poultry meat flavor.
36. Color of fresh and frozen poultry.
37. Shelf-life of fresh and frozen poultry.
38. Packaging of fresh and frozen poultry.
39. Microbiological and sensory properties of fresh and frozen poultry.
Part VII: Fish and shellfish: fresh and frozen.
40. Fish and sensory analysis in the fish chain.
41. Sensory profiling of fish, fish product and shellfish.
42. Quality Index Methods.
43. Texture of fish, fish products and shellfish.
44. Perception of sensory quality of wild and farmed fish by experts, consumers and chefs or cooks in the restaurant sector.
45. Frozen fish.
Associate Editors: Terri Boylston, PhD, Iowa State University; Feng Chen, PhD, Clemson University; Patti C. Coggins, PhD, Mississippi State University; Maria Beatriz Gloria, PhD, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil; Grethe Hyldig, PhD, Denmark Ministry of Food, Agriculture & Fisheries, Lyngby, Denmark; Chris R. Kerth, PhD, Auburn University; Lisa H. McKee, PhD, New Mexico State University; and Y.H. Hui, PhD, food industry consultant, West Sacramento, CA.
- Investigates factors affecting the quality of beef, pork, poultry and seafood
- Discusses fresh, frozen and processed muscle foods
- Coverage includes: additives, aroma, color, contaminants, flavors, microbiology, moisture, mouth-feel, nutrition, packaging, safety, sensory attributes, shelf-life, stability, tainting, texture and water activity
- International collection of over 60 expert contributors from government, industry and academia
"Seminal, timely, and urgently recommended addition to professional, governmental, food industry, governmental agency, and academic library reference collections and supplemental reading lists." (Midwest Book Review, March 2008)
"Provides an important contribution towards our understanding of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish quality … .[In] Chapter 27, Shelf Life of Meats … the analysis of the various methods available provides an excellent account of the state of current knowledge … .The Handbook provides a very useful overview, in a synopsis style, of the scientific aspects and implications of food quality and safety … .This is an extremely well researched book, fully referenced and … essential reading and reference source." (Journal of Foodservice, September 2007)
Handbook of Meat, Poultry and Seafood Quality (US $309.95)
Total List Price: US $544.95
Discounted Price: US $408.71 (Save: US $136.24)