Manual of Parrot Behavior
June 2006, Wiley-Blackwell
Bringing together a host of international experts on avian
behavior, Manual of Parrot Behavior explores the many facets of
psittacine behavior, both normal and abnormal. The book not only
provides readers with a solid understanding of the basic principles
of psittacine behavior but also offers useful techniques of
diagnosis and treatment for specific problems.
- Covers both normal and abnormal parrot behavior
- Offers practical techniques on diagnosis and treatment of behavior problems
- Written by a team of international experts on avian behavior
- A necessary addition to the library of any practitioner of behaviorist who sees avian companion animals
2. Behavior of Wild Amazona and Rhynchopsitta Parrots with Comparative Insights from other Psittacines.
3. Parrot Conservation, Trade and Reintroduction.
4. Sensory Capacities of Parrots.
5. Social Behavior of Psittacine Birds.
6. Captive parrot nutrition: interactions with anatomy, physiology, and behavior.
7. Comfort Behavior and Sleep.
8. Parrot Reproductive Behavior, or Who Associates, Who Mates, and Who Cares 9. Nest Box Preferences.
10. Hand-rearing: behavioral impacts and implications for captive parrot welfare.
11. Behavioral Development of Psittacine Companions: Neonates, Neophytes and Fledglings.
12. Handler Attitude and Chick Development.
13. Grey Parrot Cognition and Communication.
14. How Parrots Learn.
15. Behavior Classes in the Veterinary Hospital: Preventing Problems Before They Start.
16. Clinical Evaluation of Psittacine Behavioral Disorders.
17. Diagnostic Workup of Suspected Behavioral Problems.
18. Feeding–Related Problems.
19. Aggressive Behavior in Pet Birds.
20. Parrot Vocalization.
21. Parrots and Fear.
22. Problem Sexual Behaviors of Companion Parrots.
23. Mate Trauma.
24. Feather Picking Disorder in Pet Birds.
25. Psittacine Behavioral Pharmacotherapy.
26. Behavior of Captive Psittacids in the Breeding Aviary.
27. Housing and Management Considerations for Problem Prevention.
28. Captive Parrot Welfare
- Brings together a host of international experts on avian
- Explores the many facets of psittacine behavior, both normal
- Offers useful techniques of diagnosis and treatment for
clinicians who see birds in practice
- Species covered include Macaws, Amazon Parrots, African Grey
Parrots, Cockatiels, Budgerigars and Cockatoos.
- This authoritative reference, the first of its kind, is a necessary addition to the library of any practitioner who sees avian companion animals.