The Little Black Book of Decision Making: Making Complex Decisions with Confidence in a Fast-Moving World
July 2017, Capstone
The decisions we make every day – frequently automatic and incredibly fast – impact every area of our lives. The Little Black Book of Decision Making delves into the cognition behind decision making, guiding you through the different ways your mind approaches various scenarios. You'll learn to notice that decision making is a matter of balance between your rational side and your intuition – the trick is in honing your intuition to steer you down the right path.
Pure reasoning cannot provide all of the answers, and relying solely on intuition could prove catastrophic in business. There must be a balance between the two, and the proportions may change with each situation. This book helps you quickly pinpoint the right mix of logic and 'gut feeling,' and use it to find the best possible solution.
- Balance logic and intuition in your decision making approach
- Avoid traps set by the mind's inherent bias
- Understand the cognitive process of decision making
- Sharpen your professional judgement in any situation
Decision making is the primary difference between organisations that lead and those that struggle. The Little Black Book of Decision Making helps you uncover errors in thinking before they become errors in judgement.
About the Author xi
Part 1 – No Place for Old Dogs: New Tricks Required 7
1. Let’s Get Real: We All Make Mistakes 9
2. Rule Makers, Rule Breakers 25
3. Coping with an Era of Acceleration 47
Part 2 – Mindset Matters! Getting Beyond the Process 69
4. What Could be Wrong with “Being Right”? 71
5. The “Reality” Delusion 89
6. Wired for Flight and Fight 109
7. The Dance of Old and New 127
Part 3 – Transforming Decision Making from the Inside Out 149
8. The Inside-Out Challenge 151
9. Evolving the Brain 171
10. Unlocking Creativity Through Mindfulness 193