The Homeowner's Guide to Mold
This book will show you how to:
- Inspect for mold throughout a home.
- Remove mold and keep it from coming back… including the best maintenance procedures to prevent mold growth.
- Select mold-preventive construction techniques and new mold-resistant materials if you’re building or remodeling.
- Deal with insurance companies if you’re thinking of submitting a mold damages claim.
- Select a reliable mold removal contractor, and know when you need one.
- Plus standard procedures and costs for mold remediation, testing, and repair work
Invaluable tips on:
- Recognizing mold, will full-color photographs
- Removing mold safely and effectively
- Mold removal contractors and insurance issues
Why Is Mold Such a Concern Today?
Is Your House Making You Sick?
Protecting Your Home’s Value.
How Th is Book Will Help You.
Chapter 1: What Is Mold & Where Does It Come From?
Facts & Hype.
Understanding How Mold Grows & Spreads.
Does My Home Have a Dangerous Type of Mold?
“There Was Mold, but We Bleached It Out. Don’t Worry!”.
Chapter 2: How Mold Can Affect Your Health.
Risks to People.
Risks to Pets.
Th e Infamous “Black Mold”.
How Mold Gets Into Our Bodies.
Chapter 3: Does Your Home (or One You Plan to Purchase) Have Mold?
Looking for Mold.
Asking the Right Questions.
Water Inspection Guidelines.
Mold on the Home’s Exterior.
Chapter 4: Mold Testing.
After Your Inspection.
If You’re Considering Mold Testing.
Th e Home Test Kit.
Types of Mold Spore Testing.
Reading the Microbiology Reports.
Chapter 5: Mold Cleanup Principles.
Goals of Mold Cleanup.
How Big Is Your Mold Problem?
Mold Caused by Flooding.
Chapter 6: Hiring a Mold Remediation Contractor.
How to Select a Qualified Mold Remediation Contractor.
How to Recognize & Avoid Con Artists.
Th e Importance of Being Informed.
Chapter 7: Insurance Coverage.
What Most People Th ink… and Are Wrong.
What Happens If I Make a Mold Claim to My Insurance Company?
Th ings to Remember Prior to Making a Mold Claim.
What Can Go Wrong with Your Mold Claim.
Know Your Rights.
Chapter 8: Your Home’s Contents.
It Looks Clean.
What If Your Mold Remediator Suggests You Handle the Contents to Save Money?
Cross-Contaminating Your Home.
Packing Out Your Furniture.
Items That Tend to Attract Mold.
Chapter 9: What to Expect from Your Mold Remediator.
Th e Right Steps in the Right Order.
What to Expect During the Remediation Process.
Common Remediation Methods.
Do-It-Yourself Mold Remediation.
Chapter 10: Mold-Resistant Construction Methods & Materials.
Mold-Preventing Construction Methods—Basic Principles.
Proper Handling of Construction Materials to Prevent Mold.
Mold-Resistant Construction Materials.
Chapter 11: Maintenance Tips for Preventing Mold.
A: Questions & Answers About Mold.
B: Health Eff ects from Exposure to Specific Types of Household Molds.
C: Typical Costs for Mold Remediation & Testing, and Mold Remediation Construction Methods.