BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Gastroenterology, 2nd Edition
Part 1 considers diagnostic techniques, with chapters on the approach to a gastrointestinal case, laboratory evaluation, imaging, endoscopy, immunology and biopsy. The completely new chapter on imaging of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and pancreas covers in detail the modalities most frequently employed in small animal practice, namely radiography and ultrasonography, whilst also briefly discussing more advanced techniques of Doppler and harmonic ultrasonography, scintigraphy, CR and MRI.
The short chapters in Part 2 provide a practical approach to investigating presenting complaints: dysphagia and regurgitation; vomiting; acute and chronic diarrhoea; malabsorption; GI haemorrhage; dyschezia and tenesmus; jaundice; hepatic encephalopathy and infectious diseases. All follow the same basic format: outlining the clinical features, ranking the differential diagnoses in order of importance, and providing step-by-step algorithms for diagnosis.
The more traditional organ-based systems approach in Part 3 has been expanded from the previous edition to include chapters on disorders of the oral cavity, perineum and anus, and biliary system. Each chapter is presented in a similar style, starting with a brief description of relevant anatomy and physiology, then detailing diagnostic tests, and concluding with a discussion of the disorders that can be encountered, including their treatment.
The completely new final part contains chapters devoted to critical care, assisted feeding techniques, and an overview of therapeutics.
The chapters, written by a host of international authors, all experts in their field, are accompanied throughout by full colour illustrations.
Part 1: Diagnostic Procedures.
1. Approach to the investigation of gastrointestinal diseases (James W. Simpson).
2. Laboratory evaluation of gastrointestinal disease (Jorg M. Steiner).
3. Imaging the gastrointestinal tract, liver and pancreas (Robert T. O'Brien).
4. Gastrointestinal endoscopy (James W. Simpson).
5. Gastrointestinal immunology and biopsy.
a. Gastrointestinal immunology (Michael J. Day).
b. Biopsy: sample collection (John M. Williams).
c. Bipsy: handling, processing and interpretation (Michael J. Day).
Part 2: Presenting complaints.
6. Dysphagia and regurgitation (Robert J. Washabau).
7. Acute and chronic vomiting (Kenneth W. Simpson).
8. Acute diarrhoea (Michael S. Leib).
9. Chronic diarrhoea (Albert E. Jergens).
10. Malabsorption (David A. Williams).
11. Gastrointestinal haemorrhage (Michael D. Willard).
12. Dyschezia and tenesmus (Albert E. Jergens).
13. Ascites (Edward J. Hall).
14. Jaundice (Susan E. Bunch).
15. Hepatic encephalopathy (Jill E. Maddison).
16. Infectious and parasitic diseases (Stanley L. Markes).
Part 3: Systems approach.
17. Disorders of the oral cavity (Linda J. DeBowes).
18. Disorders of the pharynx and oesophagus (Robert J. Washabau).
19. Diseases of the stomach (Kenneth W. Simpson).
20. Diseases of the small intestine (Alexander J. German).
21. Diseases of the colon and rectum (Albert E. Jergens and Debra L. Zoran).
22. Disorders of the perineum and anus (John M. Williams).
23. Diseases of the exocrine pancreas (David A. Williams).
24. Diseases of the liver (Penny Watson).
25. Diseases of the biliary system (Jan Rothuizen).
Part 4: Critical care and Therapeutics.
26. Critical care of patients with gastrointestinal diseases (Maureen McMichael).
27. Feeding tubes (Debra L. Zoran).
28. Therapeutics (Edward J. Hall).
1. Drug formulary.
2. Abbreviations used throughout the text.
3. Conversion tables.
James W. Simpson is at the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, Midlothian, UK.
David A. Williams is at Texas A&M University, Texas, USA.
- Problem-oriented and systems approaches
- E mergency and critical care
- Assisted feeding techniques
- International authors
BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Gastroenterology, 2nd Edition (US $157.99)
-and- BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Surgical Principles: A Foundation Manual (US $115.00)
Total List Price: US $272.99
Discounted Price: US $204.74 (Save: US $68.25)