¡Con brío! Beginning Spanish, Transparencies, 2nd Edition
October 2010, ©2011
• Careful attention to sequencing of activities, from input to output (comprehension to production), thus refining the ¡Con brío! methodology
• A pronunciation-review section, La pronunciación, now accompanies each chapter-opener scene
• Examples added to most grammar-presentation charts
• Special recycling annotations alongside activity titles highlight the material being recycled
• A lightly restructured Chapter 12, now includes the imperfect subjunctive
• An Exprésate in Apéndice 3, that provides end-of-chapter comprehensive speaking and writing activities, the latter accompanied by writing strategies and process-writing steps
• A more detailed Chapter Opener showing new features
• A Grammar Handbook will be available in WileyPLUS or sold Print-on Demand, with example sentences and controlled practice for all grammar presented in the text, and additional grammar in Expansión sections, also with accompanying practice
• An expanded testing program with more challenging exams
- Follows current ACTFL standards: ¡Con brío! embeds ACTFL’s "Four Skills" (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing) throughout the text, and identifies these skills with special icons. ACTFL also identifies "Five C’s": Communication, Culture, Connections, Comparisons, and Communities. These Five C's are an important aspect of ¡Con brío!'s pedagogical approach.
- Grounds learning in everyday themes and scenes: Every chapter is organized around a theme that reflects either everyday life, work, or community situations. Thus, the majority of the vocabulary, the activities, the cartoons, the culture, and the reading selections are tightly woven around each chapter’s theme.
- Equips students with vocabulary they will really use: More than 85% of the vocabulary is presented through the escenas. The remainder appears in easily identifiable charts which accompany activities that require use of those particular words or expressions. Special effort has been made to select words that are standard to all Hispanic countries, with lexical variations presented in annotations to the instructor for presentation to the class as needed.
- Presents grammar in a meaningful way: In ¡Con brío!, grammar helps students navigate through everyday experiences in their new language. Concise and clear charts, with relevant examples in both languages, allow students to easily grasp grammatical concepts and structures.
- Builds skills through a variety of engaging activities: Each ¡En acción! section begins with one or two practice activities which are designed to "ground" the student and build self-confidence, followed by carefully sequenced semi-controlled activities, and concluding with more open-ended, guided communication.Students thus move from comprehension to production and from simpler, contextualized activities to more involved, real-life applications.
- Gets students thinking about culture: ¡Con brío! presents culture in a way that evolves from and enhances the chapter’s themes.
- Reinforces learning through synthesis and review: Each chapter contains a chapter-wrap-up section that offers students the opportunity to converse and write about theme-based topics using the vocabulary and structures learned in the chapter. A scene-by-scene listing of all of the active and passive vocabulary introduced in the chapter is presented to facilitate review. A self-testing feature appearing at the end of each chapter reviews the vocabulary and structures presented in the chapter. The Answer Key that appears in the Apéndice 2 in the book gives students instant feedback.