The World Is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education
June 2011, Jossey-Bass
Web-based technology has opened up education around the world to the point where anyone can learn anything from anyone else at any time. To help educators and others understand what's possible, Curt Bonk employs his groundbreaking "WE-ALL-LEARN" model to outline ten key technology and learning trends, demonstrating how technology has transformed educational opportunities for learners of every age in every corner of the globe. The book is filled with inspiring stories of ordinary learners as well as interviews with technology and education leaders that reveal the power of this new way of learning.
- Captures the global nature of open education from those who are creating and using new learning technologies
- Includes a new Preface and Postscript with the latest updates
- A free companion web site provides additional stories and information
Using the dynamic "WE-ALL-LEARN" model, learners, educators, executives, administrators, instructors, and parents can discover how to tap into the power of Web technology and unleash a world of information.
Introduction to the Open Learning World.
1 We All Learn.
2 To Search and to Scan.
Opener #1: Web Searching in the World of E-Books.
3 E-Demand Around the Globe.
Opener #2: E-Learning and Blended Learning.
4 It's a Free Software World After All.
Opener #3: Availability of Open Source and Free Software.
5 MIT in Every Home.
Opener #4: Leveraged Resources and OpenCourseWare.
6 Portals for the People.
Opener #5: Learning Object Repositories and Portals.
7 Making a Contribution.
Opener #6: Learner Participation in Open Information Communities.
8 Collaborate or Die!
Opener #7: Electronic Collaboration and Interaction.
9 Who Are You?
Opener #8: Alternative Reality Learning.
Opener #9: Real-Time Mobility and Portability.
11 Learning at Your Service.
Opener #10: Networks of Personalized Learning.
12 The Treasures and Traps of This Open Learning World.
Postscript: An Open Letter to the Learners of This Planet.
- Active and authoritative author. Curt Bonk, described by Business Wire as an "e-learning guru," has a blog called TravelinEdMan and does about 100 presentations a year on e-learning to audiences from school teachers to Microsoft executives. He has a huge number of connections in the education and technology communities, including many of the people he interviewed for the book--like Tim Berners Lee, Mark Andreessen, and David Wiley of Educommons--and hs received glowing endorsements from a diverse array--from Gaston Caperton, president of The College Board to Scott McNealy, head of Sun Microsystems.
- Hot topic. 21st -Century learning focuses on the use of technology to extend opportunties globally.
- Comprehensive and practical resource. Extensive coverage of all of the trends with practical examples of where they are working best.
- Additional free materials online. Additional examples, resources, references, and questions for discussion on each trend covered are on the author's web site (worldisopen.com).