A Brief Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, Binder Ready Version, 5th Edition
December 2010, ©2011
A Brief Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, 5th Edition is designed to cover the standard topics in a basic fluid mechanics course in a streamlined manner that meets the learning needs of today’s student better than the dense, encyclopedic manner of traditional texts. This approach helps students connect the math and theory to the physical world and practical applications and apply these connections to solving problems. The text lucidly presents basic analysis techniques and addresses practical concerns and applications, such as pipe flow, open-channel flow, flow measurement, and drag and lift. It offers a strong visual approach with photos, illustrations, and videos included in the text, examples and homework problems to emphasize the practical application of fluid mechanics principles.
This text is an unbound, three hole punched version.
- Illustrations: More than 200 new illustrations and graphs. These range from simple ones that help illustrate a basic concept or equation to more complex ones that illustrate practical applications of fluid mechanics in our everyday lives.
- Photographs: More than 200 new photos help the reader see fluid mechanics concepts in common everyday situations, as well as new and novel situations.
- Videos: The video library has been significantly enhanced by the addition of 70 new video segments related directly to the text material. Over 140 total videos now illustrate many of the interesting and practical applications of real-world fluid phenomena.
- Equation Summary: Each chapter ends with a new summary of the most important equations in the chapter, for easy reference.
- Problems: Approximately 50% new homework problems have been added for this edition. Several new problems ask students to find a photograph/image of a particular flow situation and write a paragraph describing it. Each chapter also includes new Life Long Learning Problems that ask the student to obtain information about a given flow concept and to write about it.
- Prevention through Design (PtD): Several new example problems in this edition incorporate PtD (Prevention through Design) discussion material, an initiative supported by NIOSH with the goal of increasing the awareness and use of proper design of work-day equipment to reduce accidents and injuries in the workplace.
- Well-Paced Concept and Problem-Solving Development: the authors develop student confidence in fluid problem solving by first considering each concept in simple and easy-to-understand circumstances before more complicated features are introduced.
- Learning Objectives at the beginning of each chapter, and the Chapter Summary and Study Guide at the end of each chapter, guide the reader in the key knowledge they are to gain from the chapter.
- Illustrations, Photographs, and Videos: Hundreds of photos, illustrations, and videos help students visualize fluid flow, and connect the math and theory to physical real-world applications.
- Fluids In the News: Short stories that demonstrate some of the latest important and novel ways that fluid mechanics affects our lives, many with associated homework problems.
- Problem-Solving Methodology in Example Problems: All of the example problems are outlined and carried out with the problem-solving framework of “Given, Find, Solution, and Comment” to instill in students good problem-solving practices.
- Homework Problems Stressing the Practical Application of Principles: Problems include simple to complex problems, discussion problems, problems based on the fluids videos, and Excel-based lab problems.
- Two Systems of Units: Both the International System of Units (newtons, kilograms, meters, and seconds) and the British Gravitational System (pounds, slugs, feet, and seconds) are used in the text. About one-half of the examples and homework problems are in each set.