The Restaurant: From Concept to Operation, Study Guide, 6th Edition
February 2011, ©2010
Restaurant owners will continue to turn to The Restaurant because it helps them gain the skills needed to master every challenge and succeed in this highly competitive and rewarding industry. Each chapter has been revised, updated, and enhanced with numerous industry examples, sidebars, charts, tables, photographs, and menus. Greater emphasis is placed on restaurant business plans, restaurant management, and restaurant operations. The themes of sustainability and sustainable restaurant management have been added throughout. New sections have also been included on purchasing meat, cocktails, and the early history of eating out. All of this information will help restaurant owners make the decisions necessary to build a thriving business.
- New Chapter: (10) Restaurant Leadership and Management defines the characteristics of an effective leader as well as what it takes to successfully lead restaurant employees.
- Spotlights on sustainability and sustainable restaurant management throughout.
- A greater emphasis on restaurant business plans, restaurant management, and restaurant operations.
- An increased focus toward the independent restaurateur.
- New topical coverage, including: the early history of eating out and restaurants in America; purchasing meat, cocktails, spirits, and nonalcoholic beverages; and the influences of Native American and African American food on the industry.
- Comprehensive and reader friendly approach to all the basics
- Takes readers step-by-step through the complicated process of planning, creating, and opening any type of restaurant
- Includes information on topics such as staffing, legal and regulatory concerns, cost control and general financing, marketing and promotion, kitchen planning and design, the menu, sanitation and concept
- Strong pedagogical features such as learning objectives, key terms and concepts, and review questions in each chapter
- Includes up-to-date restaurant profiles, as well as sidebars offering advice, charts, tables, photographs and menus