Choosing a Dog For Dummies
No matter what qualities you’re looking for in a dog, there’s a breed out there for you, and Choosing a Dog For Dummies can help you find it. Written by Chris Walkowicz, President of the Dog Writer’s Association of America, this friendly guide fills you in on what you need to know to:
- Figure out whether or not you really want to share you life with a dog
- Decide which pet qualities you value most
- Select and buy the perfect pet for you and your family
- Give your canine pal the care it deserves
- Find out about breed rescue
- Select a kid-friendly dog
From Affenpinschers to Xoloitzcuintlis, Chris gives you the complete lowdown on 150 of the most popular breeds along with priceless pointers on:
- Finding a reliable breeder and choosing the right puppy for you
- Navigating registration and pedigree issues and handling the paperwork involved with getting a purebred dog
- Preparing your home for the new arrival and adjusting to your new lives together
- Understanding the unique instinctual qualities and demands of each breed, including grooming, exercise, training, and more
When it comes to matching the right dog to your lifestyle and temperament, it doesn’t pay to play Wheel of Fortune. Make sure that the breed you choose is the right one and have fun doing it with Choosing a Dog For Dummies.
PART I: Testing Your Pet-Ability.
Chapter 1: Ready? Set? Stop! What You Need to Know Before You Buy.
Chapter 2: Decisions, Decisions: Narrowing Your Choices.
PART II: Finding Fido.
Chapter 3: Looking for Love in All the Right Places.
Chapter 4: Adopting a Rescue or Ricochet Dog.
Chapter 5: But They're All Darling! Choosing the Right Dog.
PART III: Puppy Protection, Papers, and Puddles.
Chapter 6: Welcome Home! Preparing for Your New Arrival.
Chapter 7: Dealing with All Those Papers.
PART IV: A Panorama of Breeds.
Chapter 8: Fur, Fowl, and Fun: The Sporting Group.
Chapter 9: Talented Noses and Eyes: The Hound Group.
Chapter 10: Yo-Heave-Ho! The Working Group.
Chapter 11: Terra Firma: The Terrier Group.
Chapter 12: Cuddle Up a Little Closer: The Toy Group.
Chapter 13: Diversity Unified: The Non-Sporting Group.
Chapter 14: Head 'em Up, Move 'em Out! The Herding Group.
Chapter 15: Et Cetera, Et Cetera: The Rare and Miscellaneous Group.
PART V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 16: Ten Musts Before You Buy.
Chapter 17: Ten Things to Look for When Choosing a Breeder.
Chapter 18: Ten (or More) Things You Must Give Your Dog.
Appendix A: Glossary of Medical Terms.
Appendix B: Resources.
Book Registration Information.