The Pfeiffer Handbook of Structured Experiences: Learning Activities for Intact Teams and Workgroups
June 2004, Pfeiffer
- Includes more than 100 ready-to-use training designs with clearly-stated outcomes.
- Offers robust and proven instructional-design principles to help create structured experiences.
- Contains activities especially suited for learners who work on the same team or for the same organization.
Section I. Communication and Trust.
1. The Gift of Happiness: Experiencing Positive Feedback.
2. Synonyms: Sharing Perceptions Between Groups.
3. News Bulletin: Focusing the Group.
4. People on the Job: Expressing Opinions.
5. Team Effectiveness: A Team-Building Activity.
6. Yearbook: Positive Feedback.
7. Sculpturing: An Expression of Feelings.
8. Pass It On: Simulating Organizational Communication.
9. The Portrait Game: Individual Feedback.
10. Mixed Messages: A Communication Experiment.
11. Nominations: Analyzing Trust Within a Team.
12. The Decent but Pesky Coworker: Developing Contracting Skills.
13. Stones, Bands, and Circle: Sociogram Activities.
14. Peer Perceptions: A Feedback Experience.
15. Lists: A Collection of Consensus Activities.
16. Developing Trust: A Leadership Skill.
17. Johari Window: An Experience in Self-Disclosure and Feedback.
18. Testing: Intergroup Competition.
19. Growth Group Values: A Clarification Activity.
20. Feedback: Increasing Self-Perceptions.
21. I Am, Don’t You Think? Zodiac Feedback.
22. Dialogue: A Program for Developing Work Relationships.
23. Messages: Feedback and Cohesiveness.
24. Group Sell: Advertising Group Values.
25. Team Mirror: A Feedback Experience.
26. The Value Profile: Legitimizing Intergroup Differences.
27. Intergroup Meeting: An Image Exchange.
28. Twenty-Five Questions: Assessing Team Development.
29. Leveling: Giving and Receiving Adverse Feedback.
30. Intimacy Program: Developing Personal Relationships.
31. Dependency-Intimacy: A Feedback Experience.
32. Affirmation of Trust: A Feedback Activity.
33. Negotiating Differences: Avoiding Polarization.
34. Power and Affection Exchange: Sharing Feelings.
35. Territory: Intergroup Negotiation.
36. Person Perception: Feedback.
37. Team Sociogram: Communication Within a Team.
Section II. Roles and Processes.
38. Riddles: Intergroup Competition.
39. Group-on-Group: A Feedback Experience.
40. Headbands: Group Role Expectations.
41. Wooden Blocks: A Competition Exercise.
42. Group Tasks: A Collection of Activities.
43. Sales Puzzle: Information Sharing.
44. Team Identity: A Developmental Planning Session.
45. Circle in the Square: A Cooperation/Competition Activity.
46. Cross-Group Negotiation and Cooperation: Studying Group Dynamics.
47. Committee Meeting: Demonstrating Hidden Agendas.
48. Self-Interaction Task: Process Observation Guides.
49. Slingshots: Studying Group Dynamics.
50. Sticky Wickets: Exploring Group Stress.
51. Line-Up and Power Inversion: An Experiment.
52. Role Nominations: A Feedback Experience.
53. Ajax Appliance Corporation: Exploring Conflict-Management Styles.
54. Team Development: A TORI Model.
55. Towers: An Intergroup Competition.
56. Team Self-Evaluations: A Collection of Instruments.
57. Organization Structures: Communication Patterns.
58. Team Planning: Effects of Differential Information.
59. System Problems: A Diagnostic Activity.
60. Structures: Intergroup Competition.
61. Graphic Analysis: Developing a Team.
62. Kerner Report: A Consensus-Seeking Task.
63. Kaleidoscope: Team Building Through Role Expansion.
64. Tinkertoy Bridge: Intergroup Competition.
65. The Company Task Force: Dealing with Disruptive Behavior.
66. Lego Bridge: Intergroup Competition.
67. Work-Needs Assessment: Achievement, Affiliation, and Power.
68. Process Observation: A Guide.
69. Team Building: A Feedback Experience.
70. Risk Game: Competition and Team Building.
71. Pine County: Information Sharing.
72. Marbles: A Community Experiment.
73. Agenda Setting: A Team-Building Starter.
74. Cups: A Power Experience.
75. Conflict Resolution: A Collection of Tasks.
76. Status-Interaction Study: A Multiple Role Play.
77. Roles Impact Feelings: A Role Play.
78. Matrix: Balancing Organizational Needs.
79. Dimensions of Trust: A Symbolic Expression.
80. Toothpicks: An Analysis of Helping Behaviors.
81. Spy: An Intergroup Activity.
82. Role Clarification: A Team-Building Activity.
83. Expressing Anger: A Self-Disclosure Activity.
Section III. Leadership and Decision Making.
84. Joe Doodlebug: Group Problem Solving.
85. Cash Register: Group Decision Making.
86. Bricks: Creative Problem Solving.
87. Word-Letter: A Problem-Solving Activity.
88. Styles of Leadership: A Series of Role Plays.
89. Water Jars: Developing Creativity in Problem Solving.
90. Leadership Abilities: Constructive Criticism.
91. Room 703: Information Sharing.
92. Power Caucus: Defining and Negotiating.
93. Broken Squares: Nonverbal Problem Solving.
94. Occupations: A Consensus-Seeking Task.
95. Lutts and Mipps: Group Problem Solving.
96. Elm Street Community Church: Third-Party Consultation.
97. Ball Game: Controlling and Influencing Communication.
98. Letter Occurrence: A Consensus-Seeking Task.
99. Hollow Square: A Communications Experiment.
100. Model-Building: An Intergroup Competition.
101. Penny Pitch: Demonstrating Reinforcement Styles.
102. Departmental Dilemma: Shared Decision Making.
103. Top Problems: A Consensus-Seeking Task.
104. Dividing the Loot: Symbolic Feedback.
105. Supervisory Behavior/Aims of Education: Consensus-Seeking Tasks.
106. Choosing a Color: A Multiple Role Play.
107. Murder One: Information Sharing.
108. Consensus Seeking: A Collection of Tasks.
109. Dhabi Fehru: An MBO Activity.
110. Island Commission: Group Problem Solving.
111. Residence Halls: A Consensus-Seeking Task.
112. Two Bags Full: Feedback About Managerial Characteristics.
113. Vacation Schedule: Group Problem Solving.
114. Who Gets Hired? A Male/Female Role Play.
115. The Sales Manager’s Journey: Group Problem Solving.
116. Sharing Perspectives: Exchanging Views on Managerial and Worker Attitudes.
117. War Gaming: An Intergroup Competition.
118. Tangram: Leadership Dimensions.
119. Monetary Investment: Negotiation.
120. The Promotion: Value Clarification.
121. Power Personalities: An OD Role Play.
122. Whom to Choose: Values and Group Decision Making.
About the Editor.
How to Use the CD-ROM.
Pfeiffer Publications Guide.