20% Chance of Rain: Exploring the Concept of Risk
The second edition includes new examples from NASA and several other industries as well as new case studies from legal databases. The many real-life discussion topics enable the reader to form an understanding of the concepts of risk and risk management and apply them to day-to-day issues.
1. Risk: Life's Question Mark 1
2. Measurement: The Alchemist's Base 15
3. Statistics: Numbers Looking for an Argument 41
4. The Value of Life and Limb, Statistically Speaking 69
5. The Evolution of Risk 93
6. Frequency and Severity: Weighing the Risk 107
7. What's in a Risk? Perception Creates Risk Reality 128
8. Risk, Regulation, and Reason 151
9. Earth, Air, and Water: The Not-So-Bare Essentials 176
10. Food . . . for Thought 210
11. Flying: The Not-So-Wild Blue Yonder 249
12. Risk on the Roads 278
13. An Incomplete List of Life's Risks 315
Richard B. Jones has spent the past thirty years applying risk analysis and management techniques to industrial and business problems. He is the author of many articles, has presented at numerous conferences, and is the author of two previous books on risk management.