Creating a Portfolio like Warren Buffett: A High Return Investment Strategy
Creating a Portfolio like Warren Buffett: A High Return Investment Strategy highlights actual trades author Jeeva Ramaswamy has successfully executed using principles established by investment guru Warren Buffet. Clearly explaining how Buffett's principles can be used to make specific investments the book, unlike other investment guides, also clearly explains how to apply Buffett's exit strategies as they pertain to holding or selling positions.
Giving readers a complete overview of Buffett's methodologies and how to apply them, the book is a step-by-step stock research checklist and comprehensive guide to investing and managing a successful stock portfolio. It includes detailed instructions to:
- Determine where to search for stock prospects
- Thoroughly research stocks using a stock research checklist
- Confidently make buy and sell decisions
- Expertly manage your portfolio
Packed with specific stock examples, real-life calculations, and expert tips, Creating a Portfolio like Warren Buffett is your guide to harnessing the market savvy of an investing legend.
PART I: Warren Buffett Investment Principles 1
Chapter 1: Replicating Warren Buffett’s Investment Success 3
Chapter 2: Business-Like Investing 9
Chapter 3: Long-Term Investing 21
Chapter 4: Permanent Loss of Capital 31
PART II: Stock Research Checklist 35
Chapter 5: Stock Research Checklist—Business Characteristics 37
Chapter 6: Stock Research Checklist—Earnings 49
Chapter 7: Stock Research Checklist—Debt 65
Chapter 8: Stock Research Checklist—Equity 75
Chapter 9: Stock Research Checklist—Profit Margin 79
Chapter 10: Stock Research Checklist—Capital Investment 85
Chapter 11: Stock Research Checklist—Management 95
Chapter 12: Stock Research Checklist—Dividend 107
Chapter 13: Stock Research Checklist—Assets 111
Chapter 14: Stock Research Checklist—Inventory 119
Chapter 15: Stock Research Checklist—Share Buybacks 121
Chapter 16: Stock Research Checklist—Insiders 127
Chapter 17: Stock Research Checklist—Institutional 133
Chapter 18: Stock Research Checklist—Inflation 137
Chapter 19: Stock Research Checklist—Cyclical Company 139
Chapter 20: Stock Research Checklist—Turnaround 143
Chapter 21: Stock Research Checklist—Stock Price 159
Chapter 22: Stock Research Checklist—Infosys 165
Chapter 23: Intrinsic Value 191
PART III: Investment Management 203
Chapter 24: Margin of Safety 205
Chapter 25: Where to Search for Stock Prospects 211
Chapter 26: Portfolio Management 223
Chapter 27: Selling Strategy 235
Chapter 28: Mr. Market and Investor Psychology 239
Chapter 29: Risk Management 253
Chapter 30: Options 259
Chapter 31: Cigar-Butt 263
Chapter 32: No Shortcut Approach 265
Chapter 33: Perfect Pitch 269
About the Author 277
Jeeva Ramaswamy is a managing partner of GJ Investment Funds, an investment fund modeled after the original 1950s Buffett partnership, that has delivered a compounded annual return of over 72 percent (net to investors). He has been profiled in International Alternative Investment Review and hedgefundexchange.net. Prior to joining GJ Investment Funds, he was CEO of Miracle Software Inc., an information technology and solutions company.
THE INVESTING GENIUS OF WARREN BUFFETT EXPLAINED BY FUND MANAGER WHO INVESTS THE BUFFETT WAY
Warren Buffett’s incredible success and the epic scope of his acquisitions can make him an intimidating mentor, but Buffett has accrued a net worth of $45 billion through timely, intelligent investing. Just because most investors can’t afford to buy companies like GEICO and See’s Candies outright doesn’t mean they can’t apply—and benefit from—the same rules and strategies that Buffett has successfully employed for decades.
In his new book, CREATING A PORTFOLIO LIKE WARREN BUFFETT: A High Return Investment Strategy, (Wiley; March 2012; Hardcover & ebook;978-1-118-18252-9; $27.95) Jeeva Ramaswamy, a managing partner of an investment fund modeled after the original 1950s Buffett partnership, breaks down the rules of stock trading that made Buffett a multibillionaire. Giving readers a complete overview of Buffett’s methodologies and how to apply them, the book is a step-by-step comprehensive guide to investing and managing a successful stock portfolio. Fully delineated within three major sections of the book, Ramaswamy explains:
• Warren Buffett’s Investment Principles: These principles include a business-owner type investing approach to help make intelligent buying and selling decisions; long-term investing, which means buying stock at attractive prices, which are less than the intrinsic value of the business and holding that stock as long as the company’s fundamentals are improving; and avoiding permanent loss of capital. As Buffett always says, “Rule 1: Never lose money. Rule 2: Never forget rule number 1.”
• Stock Research Checklist: Another main task for investors involves researching the prospective company thoroughly, examining all the aspects of the business, and then deciding what to do with the stock. With 61 stock research checklist items, Ramaswamy leaves no stone unturned. He includes checklists for earnings, debt, equity, profit margin, capital investment, management, dividend, assets, inventory, share buybacks, insiders, institutional, inflation, cyclical company, turnaround, and stock price.
• Investment Management: Investors should search stock prospects in the Value Line investment survey, Magic Formula investing, Wall Street Journal, and by actually visiting the company, if a retail outlet, at the shopping mall. Be calm and make rational decisions as per the investment research strategy. Ramaswamy writes about margin of safety, where to search for stock prospects, and portfolio management.
Before any individual starts investing in the stock market, he or she should have a clear understanding of investment principles. CREATING A PORTFOLIO LIKE WARREN BUFFETT is packed with specific stock examples, real-life calculations, and expert tips. This book is the guide to harnessing the market savvy of an investing legend. Ramaswamy breaks down the rules of stock trading that made Buffett a multibillionaire so that his winning ways can be applied to building one’s own wealth. Highlighting actual trades that Buffett successfully executed, as well as Ramaswamy's own experiences using the principles established by Buffett, the book clearly explains everything you need to know to creating a winning portfolio.