The Titanic For Dummies
- Theories behind the reason for the sinking (does the blame lie with the watertight doors, bad rivets, or crew negligence?), and when and where the ship split in two.
- A detailed look at how the lack of lifeboats — and the chaos that resulted in lifeboats launching before they reached capacity — resulted in lives lost.
- A Titanic “Who’s Who” identifying notable passengers, including those who were famous before the tragedy and those who gained fame because of it.
- Current thinking about reports of shots being fired onboard, the details of Captain Smith’s death, Murdoch’s possible suicide, and the band’s last song.
- Findings from the Titanic hearings on both sides of the Atlantic.
- A recounting of Robert Ballard’s discovery of the wreck in 1985 and the ongoing debate over whether to salvage the wreck or let the ship remain as a memorial to those who perished.
- A glimpse of the most fascinating artifacts salvaged from the wreckage.
- The Titanic in pop culture: from Broadway to one of the most highest grossing movies in history (being re-released in 3D in 2012 to commemorate the 100th anniversary).
Part I: The Titanic: A Century of Legend 7
Chapter 1: Why the Titanic Endures 9
Chapter 2: Building the Ship of Dreams 19
Chapter 3: From Royalty to Rats: Who Sailed on the Titanic 33
Chapter 4: Life Onboard: From Breakfast and Lunch to Steerage and Bunks 55
Part II: Tragedy at Sea: The Titanic Sinks on Its Maiden Voyage 71
Chapter 5: Four Days of Smooth Sailing 73
Chapter 6: The Collision and Sinking 83
Chapter 7: Surviving the Sinking of the Titanic 99
Chapter 8: “I Was There”: Firsthand Accounts of the Sinking 121
Chapter 9: How the World Learned about the Titanic’s Loss 149
Chapter 10: Investigating the Titanic’s Demise 163
Part III: Exploring Enduring Titanic Mysteries 187
Chapter 11: Doomed from the Start? Studying What Went Wrong 189
Chapter 12: Lingering Questions about the Titanic’s Final Hours 201
Chapter 13: Foreshadowing the Tragedy? The 1898 Novella The Wreck of the Titan 213
Part IV: The Quest to Recover the Titanic 219
Chapter 14: Looking at Early Attempts to Raise the Titanic 221
Chapter 15: The Quest of the Century: The 1985 Discovery of the Wreck 233
Part V: The Titanic in Popular Culture 247
Chapter 16: Salvaging the Titanic and Its Artifacts 249
Chapter 17: Presenting the Titanic Story on Screen and on Stage 265
Part VI: The Part of Tens 275
Chapter 18: Ten Fascinating Titanic Artifacts 277
Chapter 19: Ten Titanic Myths Debunked 285
Chapter 20: Ten Terrifi c Titanic Documentaries 293
Appendix: A Titanic Timeline 301