Challenging Ableism, Understanding Disability, Including Adults with Disabilities in Workplaces and Learning Spaces: New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, Number 132
January 2012, Jossey-Bass
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: E-book
Tonette S. Rocco
1. Shifting Lenses: A Critical Examination of Disability in Adult Education 3
Tonette S. Rocco, Antonio Delgado
This chapter presents concepts and theories from disability studies useful for a critical examination of disability in adult education.
2. Getting to Know You: The Prospect of Challenging Ableism Through Adult Learning 13
Margaret A. McLean
This chapter examines the role of contact and relationship in changing ableist beliefs and concepts about disability.
3. Conducting Research with the Disability Community: A Rights-Based Approach 23
Kelly M. Munger, Donna M. Mertens
This chapter explores the philosophical and theoretical frameworks that are useful for the conduct of research with people with disabilities.
4. When the Black Dog Barks: An Autoethnography of Adult Learning in and on Clinical Depression 35
The author relates his personal learning journey to discover how best to cope with clinical depression.
5. Alterity: Learning Polyvalent Selves, Resisting Disabling Notions of the Self 43
This chapter queries how one type of human difference—alterity, the experience of multiple distinct consciousnesses or “alters” by one person—is pathologized in American culture.
6. Learning and Adaptation After Diagnosis: The Role of Parent Education 53
Thomas G. Reio, Jr., Sandra L. Fornes
The authors explore their learning and adaptation after diagnosis of their own children’s disability and offer suggestions for navigating the resources available to parents.
7. Challenges and Opportunities of Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom Veterans with Disabilities Transitioning into Learning and Workplace Environments 63
Fariba Ostovary, Janet Dapprich
An overview of issues related to transitioning from the military to civilian workplace and learning environments of disabled military servicemen/women is presented in this chapter.
8. Revisiting Debates on Learning Disabilities in Adult Education 75
Alisa Belzer, Jovita Ross-Gordon
In light of the current policy emphasis on evidence-based instruction, this chapter discusses two recent publications on adult learning disabilities that view it as largely a cognitive disorder and fail to attend to adult learning theory and the importance of a socio-cultural perspective.
9. Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended: Principles and Practice 85
This chapter reviews the impact of amendments and regulations that have updated the ADA in its twentieth year with an emphasis on employment and adult and higher education.
10. Moving Forward: Two Paradigms and Takeaways 97
Tonette S. Rocco
This chapter reviews the major themes discussed in the text regarding disability and presents takeaways for adult education
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Challenging Ableism, Understanding Disability, Including Adults with Disabilities in Workplaces and Learning Spaces: New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, Number 132 (US $29.00)
-and- Understanding and Managing Dyslexia For Dummies, UK Edition (US $27.95)
Total List Price: US $56.95
Discounted Price: US $42.71 (Save: US $14.24)