Supporting and Supervising Mid-Level Professionals: New Directions for Student Services, Number 136
January 2012, Jossey-Bass
The authors of this sourcebook blend research, personal essays, case studies, and their personal experiences to illuminate the needs and challenges of midlevel supervisors.
- Dynamics of supervision
- Reflections on building capacity as a supervisor
- Developing a philosophy of self-authorship
- Managing conflict from the middle
- Supervising graduate assistants
- Effective strategies for virtual supervision
- Supervising across cultures
- Case studies in middle management supervision
This is the 136th volume of the Jossey-Bass quarterly report series New Directions for Student Services. An indispensable resource for vice presidents of student affairs, deans of students, student counselors, and other student services professionals, New Directions for Student Services offers guidelines and programs for aiding students in their total development: emotional, social, physical, and intellectual.
Larry D. Roper
1. Dynamics of Supervision 5
The author provides a review of literature on leadership, management, and supervision.
2. Refl ections on Building Capacity as a Supervisor in
College Student Services 17
Cathlene E. McGraw
An early-career professional shares experiences and lessons learned from mid-level supervisors.
3. Developing a Philosophy of Supervision: One Step Toward
Delores E. McNair
This chapter suggests how to use self-authorship to defi ne one's philosophy of supervision.
4. Managing Confl ict from the Middle 35
Mary-Beth Cooper, Heath Boice-Pardee
The authors discuss knowledge and skills needed by mid-level supervisors to navigate their unique role in institutions.
5. Supervising Graduate Assistants 43
Jessica White, John Nonnamaker
This chapter looks at the distinctive roles assumed by those who supervise graduate students.
6. Effective Strategies for Virtual Supervision 55
Trisha J. Scarcia-King
This chapter describes issues supervisors might encounter when required to supervise through virtual means.
7. Supervising Across Cultures: Navigating Diversity and
Larry D. Roper
The author discusses how supervisors are called upon to support diversity and model multiculturalism.
8. Case Studies in Middle Management Supervision 81
Lori S. White
This chapter uses case studies to illustrate the myriad of issues midlevel supervisors must address.
Supporting and Supervising Mid-Level Professionals: New Directions for Student Services, Number 136 (US $29.00)
-and- Emotionally Intelligent Leadership for Students: Inventory (US $5.00)
Total List Price: US $34.00
Discounted Price: US $25.50 (Save: US $8.50)