Writing: Theory and History of the Technology of Civilization
February 2012, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
- Traces the origins of writing tied to speech from ancient Sumer through the Greek alphabet and beyond
- Examines the earliest evidence for writing in Mesopotamia in the fourth millennium BC, the origins of purely phonographic systems, and the mystery of alphabetic writing
- Includes discussions of Ancient Egyptian, Chinese, and Mayan writing
- Shows how the structures of writing served and do serve social needs and in turn create patterns of social behavior
- Clarifies the argument with many illustrations