Power Entertaining: Secrets to Building Lasting Relationships, Hosting Unforgettable Events, and Closing Big Deals from America's 1st Master Sommelier
You're at a fancy downtown restaurant for dinner with a million-dollar business deal on the table. The waiter hands you the wine list. Now what? So much for that shiny M.B.A. and your powerful business connections. What matters right now, at this moment, is your wine IQand your ability to entertain this client in a way he'll never forget. In Power Entertaining Eddie Osterland, Master Sommelier, and America's foremost wine and food coach outlines dozens of power entertaining tips that can make anyone a more effective host or hostessbe it at a corporate business event or private dinners with clients in restaurants.
When it comes to hosting big business meetings or important sales events, you will discover how to entertain business clients and business associates with ease, knowledge, and confidence, using good wine and food as the ingredients to build strong and lasting business relationships.
- Teaches how to transform boring business meetings and sales functions into memorable social events that people will want to attend again and again
- Enables you to build long-term business relationships based on the time-honored principles of courtesy, generosity and old world hospitality
- Learn how to convince the restaurant's Maitre d' to give them the best table in the houseeven on a busy Friday or Saturday night
Success is always in the details, so master the finer points of entertaining before your next big business event.
Foreword Mark LeBlanc xi
1 My Definition of Power Entertaining 11
2 Toss (and I Do Mean TOSS)
That Caesar Salad! 21
3 20 Secrets of Successful Power Entertaining 35
4 Power Pairing Great Foods with Great Wines 50
5 Your New Best Friends: The Sommelier and the Wine Merchant 65
6 So Many Wines, So Little Time! 83
7 Taste Wine like the Masters Do 133
8 Out of the Kitchen Closet: Coming Out as a Foodie 155
9 Power Entertaining at Home 162
10 Masterminds: From Wine Geek to Wine Expert 177
Epilogue: Taste Life Now! 183
Appendix A 185
Appendix B 189
Appendix C 191
Appendix D 195
Appendix E 197
Appendix F 199
About the Author 201
About the Collaborator 203
EDDIE OSTERLAND, America's first Master Sommelier, is an internationally acclaimed expert in the culinary arena of food and wine. Eddie holds the prestigious degree of Diplôme Universitaire d'Aptitude à la Dégustation (DUAD) from the Université de Bordeaux in Bordeaux, France. While completing his studies there, he passed the grueling Master Sommelier Diploma in London in 1973 and later became head sommelier at the Hôtel de la Poste in Beaune, Burgundy, Francean American running a French wine cellar! For more than twenty-five years, he has delivered workshops on his concept of Power Entertaining to such global companies as Accenture, General Mills, Citigroup, IBM, Merrill Lynch, GE, Ford, UBS, Discover Card, Sprint, Procter & Gamble, Oracle, and American Express.
Eddie Osterland never imagined becoming America’s First Master Sommelier. After graduating with a Psychology degree in 1968, he found himself in Hawaii as a waiter while attending grad school at the University of Hawaii. Little did he know his journey would begin there and later land him an opportunity to attend the most prestigious wine school in France, the Institut d’Oenologie at the Université de Bordeaux.
After 4 years of study, Osterland passed all three sections of the Master Sommelier exam on his first try. In 1978 at the age of 28, Osterland became America’s first Master Sommelier and began his career as a sought-after wine and food coach.
Now, in his book, Power Entertaining: Secrets to Building Lasting Relationships, Hosting Unforgettable Events, and Closing Big Deals from America's 1st Master Sommelier (Wiley; Hardcover & E-Book, ISBN: 978-1-1182-6902-2; September 2012), Eddie Osterland shares all he’s learned about entertaining with wine and food as the result of a remarkable 30-year career in the food and hospitality industries. His book outlines dozens of power entertaining tips to help mold anyone into an effective host or hostess.
Osterland says “power entertaining” isn’t about “boozing and schmoozing clients.” Instead, it’s about “being able to entertain others in ways they will never forget, and that will make them want to do business with you again and again!”.
Whether at a corporate business event or a private dinner with clients, Power Entertaining advises readers on how to:
- Entertain clients with ease, class, and confidence, using good wine and food as the ingredients to build strong and lasting business relationships.
- Delight colleagues and friends by serving delicious pairings of wine and food that they’ll remember for years!
- Transform boring business meetings and sales functions into memorable social events that people will want to attend again and again.
- Use business entertaining as a business development and client relations strategy.
But that’s not all. Readers of Power Entertaining will also learn how to:
- Order with knowledge and confidence from restaurant wine lists.
- Select, taste and appreciate fine wines just as master wine tasters do!
- Close big business deals by ordering just the right wine for business occasions.
- Learn the basics of casual (but classy) home entertaining.
- Learn about fun and fabulous foodie websites.
- Entertain – at work or at home – without getting stressed out!
Power Entertaining is a must read for any professional who entertains others as part of doing their job. It is also an invaluable guide and roadmap for anyone who wants to bring new energy, creativity and excitement to entertaining friends and family at home!