AARP Roadmap for the Rest of Your Life: Smart Choices About Money, Health, Work, Lifestyle ... and Pursuing Your Dreams
Solid solutions and step-by-step instructions for planning the next stage of your life
Life after 50 isn’t what it used to be. The rules have changed. No more guaranteed pensions, retiree health plans, or extensive leisure and travel. It’s time to forge new paths and create innovative models. That’s where the AARP Roadmap for the Rest of Your Life comes in. Bart Astor, author of more than a dozen books, offers a comprehensive guide for making lifestyle decisions, growing your nest egg, and realizing your goals. This AARP book—
- Provides guidance on the key areas you’ll need to consider: finances and work, health and fitness, Medicare and Social Security, estate planning, insurance, housing, and more
- Offers expert tips on creating age- and health-specific goals through a personal “Level of Activity” scale based on how active you can and want to be
- Includes tips for finding fun and fulfilling activities and even completing your bucket list
- Supplies ready-to-use worksheets to help you set and meet financial planning goals, get your legal affairs in order, and maintain adequate health insurance
- Contains a comprehensive list of valuable resources
Chapter 1 Where Are You on the Level of Activity Scale? 1
Chapter 2 What Are Your Goals for This Stage in Life? 9
Chapter 3 Staying Healthy for the Rest of Your Life 21
Chapter 4 All About Health Insurance 51
Chapter 5 Making It Last for the Rest of Your Life 71
Chapter 6 Transitioning from Full-Time Work 95
Chapter 7 What Do You Want to Do with the Rest of Your Life? 107
Chapter 8 Transitioning What You Own 131
Chapter 9 Have “the Talk” with Your Heirs 147
Chapter 10 Home Sweet Home 161
Chapter 11 Relationships with Family and Friends 179
About the Author 203
Bart Astor (BartAstor.com) is a recognized expert in life's transitions and eldercare. His Baby Boomer's Guide to Caring for Aging Parents is in its second printing. Author of eleven other books as well, Astor has appeared on television and radio shows, including ABC's Good Morning America, PBS's Marketplace, and Ric Edelman's The Truth About Money.
New from AARP:
Roadmap for the Rest of Your Life
Smart Choices about Money, Health, Work, Lifestyle…and Pursuing Your Dreams
By Bart Astor
with a foreword by Gail Sheehy
Goal-setting starts when we are young. Fantastic childhood dreams about what we want to be when we grow up transition into more serious decisions about college majors, career choices, family, and more. But the second half of life can bring a host of new challenges. Perhaps we’re changing careers, pursuing hobbies or interests, or caring for both our children and our parents. At the same time, we need to focus on maintaining our health and managing our finances to support ourselves for the long term. These are realities not everyone is prepared for.
In this new book from AARP, Roadmap for the Rest of Your Life: Smart Choices About Money, Health, Work, Lifestyle…and Pursuing Your Dreams (Wiley; 978-1-118-40112-5; May 2013; $18.95), author Bart Astor offers a comprehensive guide for creating and realizing your goals, making lifestyle decisions, growing your nest egg, and taking advantage of the new opportunities at age 50+.
This book is not about retirement but about the question, “What are our goals for this stage in our lives?” Readers can use this book to help focus on their goals and expectations and to take care of the legal, insurance, and other necessities that could become barriers to achieving their goals.
Astor, a recognized expert in life transitions and eldercare and the author of 13 books, provides readers with:
- Ways to create age- and health-specific goals
- A “Level of Activity” scale to help guide lifestyle decisions
- Stories of real people whose insights can help steer readers toward their goals
- Practical solutions for getting their business and legal affairs in order
- What to know about Medicare, health insurance, and long-term care
- Financial strategies and ready-to-use worksheets to help plan for retirement
- Suggestions for staying fit and healthy
- A step-by-step guide to completing your bucket list
- A comprehensive list of resources with websites
Astor’s Roadmap for the Rest of Your Lifeis an indispensable guide for anyone looking to navigate their second adulthood and make it even better than their first.