DVD Counseling and Psychotherapy Theories in Context and Practice: Skills, Strategies, and Techniques, 2nd Edition
Learn the various counseling theories through authentic examples led by actual practitioners working with real clients
This comprehensive two-DVD set promotes student learning by illustrating each of the counseling theories covered in the textbook Counseling and Psychotherapy Theories in Context and Practice, Second Edition by John and Rita Sommers-Flanagan. However, the DVDs can be used in conjunction with this text or as a stand-alone teaching tool in any course covering psychotherapy theories and techniques.
Unique in its presentation of real clinicians from a variety of work settingsincluding school and college counselorsworking with actual clients, the DVDs:
- Feature practitioners and clients who represent ethnic, gender, age, and religious diversity
- Model how to develop a positive therapeutic relationship from any theoretical perspective
- Help students not only understand the differences between theories, but also the difference between theory and technique
- Offer commentary by the authors on how the counselor in the session made decisions from a theoretical perspective as well as why a particular counseling theory was appropriate for the client’s situation
Exploring Psychoanalytic, Adlerian, Existential, Person-Centered, Gestalt, Behavioral, Cognitive-Behavioral, Reality, Feminist, Solution-Focused, and Family Systems theories, these two DVDs shed light on these theories in real practice with clients.
- Covers all of the leading theoretical perspectives including several not featured in other texts (e.g., Jungian Theory, non-western theories) in a straightforward, organized, and engaging perspective
- Integrates important ethical and professional issues, as well as multicultural material, into every chapter
- Includes student development activities, "advice from experts," questions for reflection, and chapter reviews throughout the text, eliminating the need for a separate student workbook
- Teaches students how to move from theoretical principles to practical application in clinical settings
- Authored by the popular husband and wife team who wrote Clinical Interviewing (Wiley)
John and Rita Sommers-Flanagan show students in counseling and psychotherapy courses how the different theories apply in practice. This clip demonstrates Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)