Designing Organizations: Strategy, Structure, and Process at the Business Unit and Enterprise Levels, 3rd Edition
February 2014, ©2014, Jossey-Bass
This Third Edition of the groundbreaking book Designing Organizations offers a guide to the process of creating and managing an organization (no matter how complex) that will be positioned to respond effectively and rapidly to customer demands and have the ability to achieve unique competitive advantage. This latest edition includes fresh illustrative examples and references, while the foundation of the book remains the author’s popular and widely used Star Model.
- Includes a comprehensive explanation of the basics of organization design
- Outlines a strategic approach to design that is based on the Star Model, a holistic framework for combining strategy, structure, processes, rewards, and people
- Describes the different types of single-business, functional organizations and focuses on the functional structure and the cross-functional lateral processes that characterize most single-business organizations.
- Features a special section on the effects of big data on organization design, and whether or not it will result in a new dimension of organizational structure
Highlighting the social technologies used to coordinate work flows, products, and services across the company, this new edition of Designing Organizations brings theory to life with a wealth of examples from such well-known companies as Disney, Nike, IBM, and Rovio (Angry Birds) to show how various kinds of organization designs operate differently.
List of Figures and Tables ix
1. Introduction 1
2. The Star Model 15
3. Single-Business Strategy and Functional Organization 57
4. Designing the Lateral Organization 89
5. Types of Single-Business Strategy 107
6. The Reconfigurable Functional Organization 131
7. Designing the Network Organization 149
8. Multibusiness Strategy and Organization 185
9. The Mixed Model 205
10. Adding Value 217
11. The Value-Adding Conglomerates 235
12. Synergy Portfolio Strategies 255
13. Organizational Design Challenges and Opportunities Resulting from Big Data 285
About the Author 307
JAY R. GALBRAITH is president and founder of Galbraith Management Consultants, an international consulting firm that specializes in solving strategy and organizational design challenges across corporate, business unit, and international levels. He is also an affiliated research scientist at the Center for Effective Organizations at the University of Southern California and professor emeritus at the International Institute for Management Development (IMD) in Lausanne, Switzerland.