The Presentation Lab: Learn the Formula Behind Powerful Presentations
Revealing the difference between great slides and great presentations
Based on a proven process from one of the world’s most prominent presentation consultancy and design firms,The Presentation Lab challenges everything you thought you knew about creating and delivering engaging business presentations. Author Simon Morton shares his unique Presentation Optimization methodology and takes readers on a journey of evolution and revolution to discover what makes an effective presentation (and you may be surprised to know that great design is the last thing you need to worry about).
Using practical tips and drawing on Simon’s experiences working with companies around the globe, The Presentation Lab will help everyone who ever needs to present by revealing what works, what doesn’t and, more importantly, why. The Presentation Lab tackles “Death by PowerPoint” head on by dispelling presentation myths, examining the latest presentation innovations, exploring new concepts for audience engagement and delivery and challenging to status quo of today’s business presentation landscape.
A1 Before We Get Started...The Presentation Labs Hypothesis 004
A2 Welcome tgo the Presentation Lab 008
A3 What this Book Is Not About... 012
A4 The Impact (& Sourse) of Poor Presentations 016
A5 Myth Busting 020
Element B The Basic Tools for the Job
B1 The Power of Inspiration: From Okay ...to Good ...to Optimized 030
B2 The Appliance of Science: A Beginner's Guide 034
B3 Business Storytelling: What's All the Fuss About? 038
B4 Business Storytelling: Getting Your Story Straight 042
B5 Introducing Presentation Optimization 048
Element C The Base Elements of Your Presentation
C1 The Base Elements of Your Presentation 054
C2 Respect the Audience 056
C3 Audiences: The Most Complex of Beasts... 058
C4 The Audience Pathway 074
C5 Message: What's the Point? 082
C6 Messaging: Simplicity Is Not Stupidity 086
C7 Give Them Something They Will Remember ... And Then Let It Travel 088
C8 Structuring Your Message: The Power of the Storyflow 092
Element D Creating Compelling Content
D1 What Is Content 098
D2 Slicing Up Your Content (With a Little Help from Occam's Razor) 108
D3 Valuable Visuals 120
D4 A Picture Paints a Thousand (Different) Words... 122
D5 Open Access Imagery 138
D6 Art over Effectiveness 142
D7 Dealing with Data 150
D8 From Visual Concept to Visual Presentation Aid 158
D9 In Conclusion 160
Element E Delivering thew Final Results
E1 PowerPoint, the Shed, & an Electric Screwdriver 164
E2 What Is Blended Presenting? 168
E3 Understanding the Presentation Landscape 170
E4 Blended Presenting: A Customer's Tale 180
E5 Tools for the Job 184
E6 Something for the Sales Managers 206
F1 Putting the Theory into Practice 210
G1 In Case of Emergency ... Strategies for Dealing with Last-Minute Deadlines 236
H1 Conclusion 242
SIMON MORTON is an internationally recognized expert on presentation development, and is the founder of Eyeful Presentations, one of the top three presentation consultancy and design companies in the world. Serving customers from more than 20 countries via five global offices, Simon has worked with top brands and thought-leaders, helping them to develop presentations that get the job done. He is a frequent keynote speaker at events across the globe and is well known for his concept challenging views on modern business presentations.
Due to an array of errors and oversights, most business presentations fail to deliver; and, while it is all too easy to blame the ubiquitous “death by PowerPoint” on poor design, the overuse of bullet points or an ill prepared or nervous presenter – the root cause is something more fundamental than that. It starts with a lack of emphasis and investment in powerful presentations. As with many issues, once the problem is recognized, a solution can be found.
Based on a proven process from one of the world's most prominent presentation consultancy and design firms The Presentation Lab: Learn the Formula Behind Powerful Presentations (WILEY; March 2014), by Simon Morton, challenges everything business professionals thought they knew about creating and delivering engaging business presentations.
Morton shares his unique Presentation Optimization™ methodology and takes readers on a guided tour through evolution and revolution to discover what makes an effective presentation (and readers may be surprised to learn that great design is not at the top of the list). He also supports each step with real life examples, with a wide range of companies from across the globe; from multinationals to smaller start-up companies.
The book outlines how to create successful presentations and focusses in five key areas:
- Audience Heatmaps – The Presentation Lab explains why a presenter need to understand their audiences’ motivation and gives them a simple process by which to assess their needs and therefore create presentations that they will really connect with and take action from.
- Audience Pathway – The importance of stories is not up for debate but a story needs to be structured and skilfully delivered if it is to properly engage your audience. The Presentation Lab shares the methodology by which stories bring audience centric presentations to life.
- Presentation Landscape – Business isn’t always done in stuffy boardrooms to a strict agenda. Understanding how the shift in presentation forums, from formal through to informal, affects a presentation is key to staying ahead of the competition. The Presentation Lab provides guidance to ensure that presenters always have the right tools for the job at hand.
- The Power of Visuals – Great visuals can be your best friend…or your worst enemy. The Presentation Lab doesn’t aim to show readers how to create clever charts and animations in PowerPoint but more importantly shines a light on the easily overlooked power of visual subtext – enabling presenters to create visuals with real meaning.
- Blended Presenting – A great presentation needs to be delivered appropriately. Knowing which approach to use to get the best response from an audience requires more flexibility than just firing up a laptop and opening PowerPoint. The Presentation Lab provides a structure that delivers the most from every opportunity using a wide array of tools chosen with an audience, and the presentation forum, in mind.
The Presentation Lab combines powerful proven concepts with practical exercises to deliver a process that forces businesses to rethink and challenge the status quo, elevating presentations way above the norm.