5 Voices: How to Communicate Effectively with Everyone You Lead
5 Voices is the code for unlocking your capacity to have honest conversations and build deeper, more authentic relationships with your teams, your families and your friends. In order to lead others effectively, we need a true understanding of ourselves, our natural tendencies and patterns of behavior. In learning what your leadership voice sounds like to others, you will discover what it feels like to be on the other side of your personality, as well as how to hear and value others' voices, namely the Pioneer, the Connector, the Creative, the Guardian, and the Nurturer. Once you understand your own leadership voice, you'll discover how best to communicate with each of the other voices, which will transform your communication at every level of relationship, both personal and professional. In mastering the 5 Voices of leadership, you will increase your emotional intelligence, allowing you to gain a competitive advantage as a leader. You will also be equipped with a simple, easy to remember vocabulary that, when shared, has a track record for decreasing the drama, misunderstanding and miscommunication in all spheres of influence.
Are you focused on relationships, values, and people? Or are you oriented more toward tradition, money, and resources? Do you know how others hear your voice? Do you appreciate the contributions of others on your team? This book will help you identify your natural leadership style, and give you a framework for leveraging your strengths.
- Find your foundational leadership voice
- Learn to hear and value the voices of others
- Know yourself before leading others
- Connect and communicate well with team, family and friends
All five leadership voices come with their own particular set of strengths, and all have areas for growth. Understanding both sides of the equation is the key to taking your leadership to the next level and is the secret to increasing your ability to influence your team, family and friends. 5 Voices is a simple key which unlocks complicated relational dynamics and improves the health and alignment of all your relationships.
SECTION 1 The Voices of a Team 1
Chapter 1 The Voice Called Yours 3
Chapter 2 How the 5 Voices Work 11
Chapter 3 Discovering Your Voice 25
Chapter 4 The Nurturer Voice 45
Chapter 5 The Creative Voice 59
Chapter 6 The Guardian Voice 69
Chapter 7 The Connector Voice 81
Chapter 8 The Pioneer Voice 91
SECTION 2 How to Interact with Each Voice 105
Chapter 9 Understanding Your Weapons System 107
Chapter 10 Knowing Your Rules of Engagement 127
Chapter 11 Voice ControlMastering Your Tendencies 147
SECTION 3 Building Powerful and Effective Teams 161
Chapter 12 Leading Effective Change 163
Chapter 13 100X Team Challenge 181
Chapter 14 Change Your World 197
Transformational Leadership Resources 203
About GiANT Worldwide 205
Speaking Inquiries for Jeremie Kubicek and Steve Cockram 207
JEREMIE KUBICEK is the cofounder of the GiANT Family of Companies and former CEO of the Leadercast and Catalyst Conferences. He is the author of the bestselling Making Your Leadership Come Alive and the recent hit, 5 Gears: How to Be Present and Productive When There Is Never Enough Time.
STEVE COCKRAM is the cofounder of GiANT Worldwide and travels extensively teaching and consulting with senior executives and their teams all over the world. He is the author of 5 Gears: How to Be Present and Productive When There Is Never Enough Time.
We live in an era of increasing noise, where information comes at us in an unceasing stream and where our attention span has plummeted to a mere seven seconds. How can you possibly make yourself heard?
Leadership Experts Jeremie Kubicek and Steve Cockram would argue that our biggest problem isn’t the deafening world around us, but rather the way we’re each using our own unique voice. In their new book, 5 Voices: How to Communicate Effectively with Everyone You Lead (Wiley; hardcover; March 2016), they present a revolutionary new method of conveying ideas and information that will allow you to have more honest, deeper conversations with your team, your friends, and your family.
The 5 Voices method creates a common language so that every member of a group can not only be heard, but valued for their unique contributions. The key is to first understand what kind of voice you have, how it is perceived by others, how it can be shaped, and how it can be deployed to its best advantage. Drawing on the research of Carl Jung and using insight from basic personality typing, as well as what is known as type dynamics, the authors have identified the roles of a team in five distinct voices.
- Nurturers: Are hard wired to care for others and help to develop others around them. Nurturers are focused on the present, are pragmatic realists, and serve as the relational oil inside the organization.
- Creatives: Possess an extraordinary gift for visioning the future and are champions of innovation and new ideas. Always looking ahead, creatives are conceptual architects and are able to see how all the pieces of something fit together.
- Guardians: Are innately inclined to preserve and protect. They focus on the present and are great supporters of responsibility, hard work and stewardship.
- Connectors: The quintessential “people” person, these are individuals with a genius for connecting people and their aspirations to ideas and resources. Connectors live in the moment and have an intuitive ability to sense what others feel and need in the moment.
- Pioneers: The most dominant and the loudest of the voices, pioneers bring military-like thinking to the group, aligning people with resources in order achieve the objective. With a constant eye to the future, they have tenacity, energy, and a strong desire to win.
Together, the quiet Nurturers, Guardians and Creatives and the more vocal Connectors and Pioneers create the dialogue of any organization. “Unleashing the full wisdom and power of the 5 voices,” write the authors, “has the potential to change many people’s worlds.”
Along with a self-assessment to determine your own voice, the book also offers insight into how the voices interact, and how they can be used to effectively lead change.
The authors of the 5 VOICES have distilled decades of personality typing with their own work with leaders worldwide to offer a practical and purposeful guide for boosting your ability to communicate in business and beyond. This is a communication primer and a valuable addition to every leadership library.