Research Methods For Business: A Skill Building Approach, 7th Edition
June 2016, ©2016
Research Methods for Business: A Skill-Building Approach is a concise and straightforward introduction for students to the world of business research. The skill-building approach provides students with practical perspectives on how research can be applied in real business situations. Maintaining Uma Sekaran’ s popular and accessible style of writing, Roger Bougie draws upon his extensive experience in the field to present an up-to-date guide on business research which is ideal for aspiring managers.
The seventh edition has been fully revised and updated to include cutting-edge examples and enriched pedagogical features designed to improve student learning outcomes. There is now an increased emphasis on the relationship between the scientific and the pragmatic approaches to research, while the key concepts are explored and applied to real-life research throughout the book.
Chapter 1 Introduction to Research
Chapter 2 The Scientific Approach and Alternative Approaches to Investigation
Chapter 3 Defining and refining the problem
Chapter 4 The Critical Literature Review
Chapter 5 Theoretical Framework & Hypothesis Development
Chapter 6 Elements of Research Design
Chapter 7 Interviews
Chapter 8 Data Collection Methods: Observation
Chapter 9 Administering Questionnaires
Chapter 10 Experimental Designs
Chapter 11 Measurement of Variables: Operational definition
Chapter 12 Measurement: Scaling, Reliability, and Validity
Chapter 13 Sampling
Chapter 14 Quantitative Data Analysis
Chapter 15 Quantitative Data Analysis: Hypothesis Testing
Chapter 16 Qualitative Data Analysis
Chapter 17 The Research Report
A Final Note to Students
Uma Sekaran (deceased) was Professor Emerita of Management, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale (SIUC), Illinois, USA.
Dr Roger Bougie is Associate Professor in Business Research Methods, TIAS School for Business and Society (The Netherlands). TIAS is the business school of Tilburg University and Eindhoven University of Technology.
All chapters are improved in the following way:
- Examples, exercises, and other pedagogical features have been revised and updated in all the chapters.
- The structure of the book has not changed, but the storyline has been greatly improved. As in previous editions, the accessible and informal style of presenting information has been maintained and the focus on practical skill building preserved.
- Chapter 2 introduces and discusses alternative approaches to research. In the new edition, subsequent chapters follow up on this by reviewing a range of topics (such as research questions, research design, and measurement) from various perspectives.
- Offers an expertly crafted overview of the research methodology process without oversimplifying it.
- The skill building approach provides students with practical perspectives on how research can be applied to real business situations.
- Aimed at undergraduate and postgraduate students taking an introductory course in business research methods this new edition continues to offer students a practical perspective to the subject.