Financial and Managerial Accounting, 3rd Edition
January 2018, ©2018
Financial and Managerial Accounting provides students with a clear introduction to fundamental accounting concepts beginning with the building blocks of the accounting cycle and continuing through financial statements. The course allows students to utilize their time efficiently by making practice simple and providing access to more resources than ever before. This course is ideal for a two-semester Financial and Managerial Accounting sequence where students spend equal time learning financial and managerial accounting concepts as well as learn the accounting cycle from a corporate perspective.
1. Accounting in Action
2. The Recording Process
3. Adjusting the Accounts
4. Completing the Accounting Cycle
5. Accounting for Merchandising Operations (Perpetual Approach)
5A. Accounting for Merchandising Operations (Periodic Approach)*
6. Inventories (Periodic Approach)
6A. Inventories (Perpetual Approach)*
7. Fraud, Internal Control, and Cash
8. Accounting for Receivables
9. Plant Assets, Natural Resources, and Intangible Assets
11. Corporations: Organization, Stock Transactions, and Stockholders' Equity
12. Statement of Cash Flows
13. Financial Statement Analysis
14. Managerial Accounting
15. Job Order Costing
15A. Job Order Costing (Non-Debit and Credit Approach)*
16. Process Costing
16A. Process Costing (Non-Debit and Credit Approach)*
17. Activity-Based Costing
19. Cost-Volume-Profit Analysis: Additional Issues
20. Incremental Analysis
22. Budgetary Planning
23. Budgetary Control and Responsibility Accounting
24. Standard Costs and Balanced Scorecard
25. Planning for Capital Investments
Appendices A-F: Apple, Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Amazon.com, Wal-Mart, Louis Vuitton financial statements
Appendix G: Time Value of Money
Appendix H. Investments
Appendix I: Payroll Accounting
Appendix J: Subsidiary Ledgers and Special Journals
Appendix K: Other Significant Liabilities
Cases for Managerial Decision-Making*
*Available in WileyPLUS and Wiley Custom
- Expanded Video Library: The course now includes even more solutions walkthrough videos, providing students with further coverage of the types of problems and exercises most frequently assigned. The Video Library also includes Course Section Opener Videos, Applied Skills Videos, Excel Tutorials, and a “Real World” Video Series.
- Modular Presentation of Managerial Topics: This feature enables instructors to customize the course more easily. For example, there is an expanded discussion of incremental analysis and regression analysis, and a new section on ABC.
- Additional content now available in WileyPLUS and via Wiley Custom: Includes alternate course section options which allow instructors to customize their approach to inventory to either the periodic or perpetual approach, or to offer coverage of costing without the use of debits and credits.
- Accounting Cycle Connections: Added to the accounting cycle sections and topics, this feature helps students make connections between the different steps of the accounting cycle and adds emphasis with explanations, illustrations, and homework problems on the accounting cycle.
- Narrated Interactive Tutorials: Provide students with an enhanced, mobile-friendly experience that allows students to navigate by subtopic to review the content they find most challenging.
- New!Modular Managerial Topics Presentation: Coverage of managerial topics in a modular presentation makes the course more easily customizable by the instructor. For example, there are expanded discussions of incremental analysis, regression analysis, and an appendix on ABC.
- New!Customizable Online Content: Additional content available in WileyPLUS and via Wiley Custom include alternate Sections which allows instructors to customize their approach to inventory to either the periodic or perpetual approach or cover of costing without the use of debits and credits.
- New!Accounting Cycle Connections: This feature which is included in the accounting cycle sections helps students make connections between the different steps of the accounting cycle and add emphasis with explanations, illustrations, and homework problems on the accounting cycle.
- Practice Made Simple: This review and practice section includes brief exercises, including solutions, to provide students with additional practice opportunities.
- New! Narrated Interactive Tutorials: This feature provides students with an enhanced, mobile-friendly experience that allows students to navigate by subtopic in order to review the content they find most challenging.
- New!Video Library: The course includes solution walkthrough videos which illustrate the types of problems and exercises most frequently assigned. The Video Library also includes Course Section Opener Videos, Applied Skills Videos, Excel Tutorials, and a “Real World” Video Series.
- New!Blank Sheet of Paper 2.0: This is an update to the student interface for completing worksheet style questions and helps students develop better problem-solving skills