Brief C++: Late Objects, 3rd Edition
August 2017, ©2017
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 Fundamental Data Types
Chapter 3 Decisions
Chapter 4 Loops
Chapter 5 Functions
Chapter 6 Arrays and Vectors
Chapter 7 Pointers
Chapter 8 Streams
Chapter 9 Classes
Chapter 10 Inheritance
- Updated to modern versions of C++
- A number of features of the C++ 2011 and C++ 2014 standards are described as either recommended best practices or as special topics.
- New and Reorganized topics: The book now supports two pathways into object-oriented programming and inheritance. Pointers and structures can be covered before introducing classes. Alternatively, pointers can be deferred until after the implementation of classes.
- A sequence of Worked Examples and exercises introduces “media computation” – generating and modifying images, sounds and animations.
- Lower-cost, interactive format: The more affordable Enhanced E-Text supports active learning through a wealth of interactive resources that prepare students for independent programming assignments and the review exercises, practice exercises, and programming projects that appear at the end of each chapter.
Practice Makes Perfect.
Programming students need to be able to implement nontrivial programs, but first they need to have the confidence that they can succeed. The Enhanced E-Text immerses students in activities design to foster in-depth learning. Students don’t just watch animations and code traces, they generate them. The activities provide instant feedback to show students what they did right and where they need to study more.
Problem-Solving strategies are made explicit.
Practical, step-by-step illustrations of techniques help students devise and evaluate solutions to programming problems. Introduced where they are most relevant, these strategies address barriers to success that many students encounter. Strategies include:
- Algorithm Design (with pseudocode)
- First do it by hand (doing sample calculations by hand)
- Selecting Test Cases
- Tracing Objects
- Thinking recursively
- And much more