Work and the Mental Health Crisis in Britain
- Based on totally new data gathered from employees and managers in the UK
- Presents a challenge to much of the conventional wisdom surrounding work and mental health
- Questions the fundamental and largely accepted cultural maxim that work is unquestionably good for people with mental health difficulties
- Illustrates how particular cultures of work or perceptions of the experience of work contribute to a crisis of mental well-being at work
- Fills a need for an up-to-date, detailed work that explores the ways that mental health and work experiences are constructed, negotiated, constrained and at times, marginalised
- Written in a style that is detailed and informative for academics and professionals who work in the mental health sphere, but also accessible to interested lay readers
Chapter 1 Introduction: Mental health, emotional well-being and 21st century work.
Chapter 2 Getting Britain back to work- a policy perspective.
Chapter 3 Mental Health and Work -Experiences of work.
Chapter 4 Techniques of identity governance and resistance: Formulating the neoliberal worker.
Chapter 5 Managing mental health in organisations.
Chapter 6 Work/Life Balance and the individualised responsibility of the neoliberal worker.
Chapter 7 Concluding thoughts.
Ben Fincham is a Lecturer in Sociology at the University of Sussex. He has been involved with developing projects on 'mobilities' and qualitative approaches to studying work in unstable employment environments, and his current research focuses on the complex relationship between work and mental health. He is co-author of Mobile Methodologies (2010).
—Cary L. Cooper, Distinguished Professor of Organizational Psychology and Health, Lancaster University Management School, UK
Set in the context of a critique of neo liberal political economy, this book should be read by all those who hold up work as a means to improved well-being, without due regard to what kind of work is available to those for whom it is prescribed.
—Theo Nichols, Distinguished Research Professor, Cardiff University, UK