Making the Time: An Expert Guide to Cross Country Riding
July 2004, Wiley-Blackwell
Stuart Tinney, an Olympic gold medallist, completed the Sydney Olympic course easily within the optimum time, not through uncontrollable speed but through accurate and controlled riding. This skill and the associated training and horse management are explained and demonstrated in the book, including:
· Equipment for the horse and rider
· Walking the course
· Riding cross country safely and efficiently
· Training for cross country in the arena
· Horse fitness and management
· Horse types
This book will therefore be of interest to all eventers from introductory to advanced level.
Photograph of Stuart Tinney riding Calvin at Berrima by Max Wilson: agenda photography
1. Equipment for the Horse and Rider.
2. Walking the Course.
3. Riding Cross Country Safely and Efficiently.
4. Training for Cross Country in the Arena.
5. Horse Fitness.
6. Horse Management.
7. Horse Types.
8. Summing Up.
9. How It All Started.
* Covers the preparation and training required to achieve the "optimum time". Stuart Tinney has been able to do this at the pinnacle of eventing, i.e. the Sydney Olympic Games.
* Appeals to a wide range of equestrian people.
* Authoritative. Stuart Tinney competes at top level advanced events.