Masculinity and Men's Lifestyle Magazines
October 2003, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 2-3 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
Introduction: Masculinity and Men’s Lifestyle Magazines: Bethan Benwell (University of Stirling).
Part I: Genealogies of Masculinity:.
1. Power and the Production of Subjects: A Genealogy of the New Man and the New Lad: Rosalind Gill (London School of Economics and Political Science).
2. A Pedigree of the Consuming Male: Masculinity, Consumption and the American ‘Leisure Class’: Bill Osgerby (London Metropolitan University).
Part II: Cultures of Production of Consumption:.
1. Class, Masculinity and Editorial Identity in the Reformation of the UK Men’s Press: Ben Crewe (Institute of Criminology, University of Cambridge).
2. Reading Men’s Lifestyle Magazine: Cultural Power and the information Society: Nick Stevenson (author), Peter Jackson (University of Sheffield) and Kate Brooks (University of the West of England).
3. Sex, Booze and Fags: Masculinity, Style and Men’s Magazines: Tim Edwards (University of Leicester).
Part III: Discursive Constructions of Masculinity:.
1. Ambiguous Masculinities: Heroism and Anti-Heroism in the Men’s Lifestyle Magazine: Bethan Benwell (University of Stirling).
2. ‘I’ve Always Loved Women’: The Representation of the Male Sex Worker in Maxim: Yolande Taylor (freelance editor) and Jane Sunderland (Lancaster University).
Part IV: Comparative Masculinities:.
1. Lifestyle Sport Magazines and the Discourses of Sporting Masculinity: Belinda Wheaton (University of Brighton’s Chelsea School Research Centre).
2. The Language of Japanese Men’s Magazines: Young Men Who Don’t Want To Get Hurt: Keiko Tanaka (Oxford Brookes University).
3. No Effeminates Please: A Corpus-Based Analysis of Masculinity via Personal Adverts in Gay News/Times 1973-2000: Paul Baker (Lancaster University).
Notes on Contributors.