The Roman Games: Historical Sources in Translation
January 2006, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 5-6 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
- A collection of source material relating to the rich tradition of Roman spectacle.
- Draws on the words of eye-witnesses and participants, as well as depictions of the games in mosaics and other works of art.
- Offers snapshots of “a day at the games” and “the life of a gladiator”.
- Includes numerous illustrations.
- Covers chariot-races, water pageants, naval battles and wild animal fights, as well as gladiatorial combat.
- Combines political, social, religious and archaeological perspectives.
- Facilitates an in-depth understanding of this important feature of ancient life.