A Companion to Asian American Studies
December 2004, Wiley-Blackwell
Retracing an Intellectual Course in Asian American Studies. (Kent A. Ono).
Part I:. Defining Conversations in Asian American Studies.
1 Chinese-American Personality and Mental Health. (Stanley Sue and Derald W. Sue).
2 The Ghetto of the Mind: Notes on the Historical Psychology of Chinese America. (Ben R. Tong).
3 Chinese-American Personality and Mental Health: A Reply to Tong's Criticisms. (Stanley Sue and Derald W. Sue).
4 A Critique of Strangers from a Different Shore. (L. Ling-chi Wang).
5 Strangers from a Different Shore as History and Historiography. Sucheng Chan.
6 A Critique of Strangers from a Different Shore. (Elaine H. Kim).
7 A Response to Ling-chi Wang, Elaine Kim, and Sucheng Chan. (Ronald Takaki).
Literature and Feminism.
8. Come All Ye Asian American Writers of the Real and the Fake (Excerpt). (Frank Chin).
9. The Woman Warrior versus The Chinaman Pacific: Must a Chinese American Critic Choose between Feminism and Heroism? (King-Kok Cheung).
Part II: Influential Essays in Asian American Studies.
10 Split Household, Small Producer and Dual Wage Earner: An Analysis of Chinese-American Family Strategies. (Evelyn Nakano Glenn).
11 Defining Asian American Realities through Literature. (Elaine H. Kim).
12 Asian Americans as the Model Minority: An Analysis of the Popular Press Image in the 1960s and 1980s. (Keith Osajima).
13 Mestiza Girlhood: Interracial Families in Chicago's Filipino American Community since 1925. (Barbara Posadas).
14 Looking for My Penis: The Eroticized Asian in Gay Video Porn. (Richard Fung).
15 Heterogeneity, Hybridity, Multiplicity: Marking Asian American Differences. (Lisa Lowe).
16 Beyond Identity Politics: The Predicament of the Asian American Writer in Late Capitalism. (E. San Juan, Jr.).
17 Filipinos in the United States and Their Literature of Exile. (Oscar V. Campomanes).
18 Los Angeles, Asians, and Perverse Ventriloquisms: On the Functions of Asian America in the Recent American Imaginary. (David Palumbo-Liu).
19 Colonial Oppression, Labour Importation, and Group Formation: Filipinos in the United States. (Yen Le Espiritu).
20 Out Here and Over There: Queerness and Diaspora in Asian American Studies. (David L. Eng).
- Contains twenty previously published essays that have an important significance on the field of Asian American Studies
- Essays are drawn from international publications, from the 1970s to the present
- Includes coverage of psychology, history, literature, feminism, sexuality, identity politics, cyberspace, pop culture, queerness, hybridity, and diasporic consciousness
- Features a useful introduction by the editor reviewing the selections, and outlining future possibilities for the field
- Can be used alongside Asian American Studies After Critical Mass, edited by Kent A. Ono, for a complete reference to Asian American Studies.