The Sacred Desert: Religion, Literature, Art and Culture
June 2004, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
List of illustrations.
1. Introduction: Meeting Points.
2. The Bible, Schoenberg, and Heidegger.
3. The Desert Fathers: Wandering and Miracles.
4. Time and Memory, Wind and Space: The Desert and Mysticism.
5. Mysticism and Modernity: Thomas Merton meets Don Cupitt.
6. The Literature of the Desert: Travellers and Poets.
7. The Literature of the Desert: Novelists.
8. Artists: Georgia O'Keefe, Bill Viola and Abstract Expressionism.
9. Films of the Desert: Pier Paolo Pasolini, Wim Wenders, Claire Dennis.
10. Desert Theology and Total Presence: Poets William Blake, T.S. Eliot and Yves Bonnefoy meet Hegel and Altizer.
11. Conclusion: Meeting Point.
Postscript: The Desert and the Recent Wars in Iraq.