A Companion to the Roman Army
March 2007, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 5-6 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
Other Available Formats: E-book
This companion provides an extensive account of the Roman army, exploring its role in Roman politics and society as well as the reasons for its effectiveness as a fighting force.
- An extensive account of the Roman army, from its beginnings to its transformation in the later Roman Empire
- Examines the army as a military machine – its recruitment, training, organization, tactics and weaponry
- Explores the relationship of the army to Roman politics, economics and society more broadly
- Considers the geography and climate of the lands in which the Romans fought
- Each chapter is written by a leading expert in a particular subfield and takes account of the latest scholarly and archaeological research in that area