A Companion to Herman Melville
September 2006, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: E-book
In a series of 35 original essays, this companion demonstrates the relevance of Melville’s works in the twenty-first century.
- Presents 35 original essays by scholars from around the world, representing a range of different approaches to Melville
- Considers Melville in a global context, and looks at the impact of global economies and technologies on the way people read Melville
- Takes account of the latest and most sophisticated scholarship, including postcolonial and feminist perspectives
- Locates Melville in his cultural milieu, revising our views of his politics on race, gender and democracy
- Reveals Melville as a more contemporarywriter than his critics have sometimes assumed