A History of Japan, 2nd Edition
January 2005, ©2005, Wiley-Blackwell
Part I: Beginnings:.
1. Geology, Climate, and Biota.
2. From Origins to Agriculture.
Part II: The Age of Dispersed Agriculturalists (400 BCE - 1250 CE):.
3. Political Consolidation to 671 CE.
4. Establishing the Ritsuryô Order (672-750).
5. Ritsuryô Adaptation and Decay (750-1250).
6. Classical Higher Culture (750-1250).
Part III: The Age of Intensive Agriculture (1250-1890):.
7. The Centuries of Disorder (1250-1890).
8. Medieval Higher Culture (1250-1550).
9. Establishing the Bakuhan Order (1550-1700).
10. The Age of Growth (1590-1700).
11. Stasis and Decay (1700-1850).
12. Crisis and Redirection (1800-1890).
Part IV: The Age of Industrialism: Early Decades (1890-Present):.
13. Early Imperial Triumph (1890-1914).
14. Early Imperial Society and Culture.
15. Later Imperial Politics and Economy (1914-1945).
16. Later Imperial Society and Culture (1914-1945).
17. Drift to Disaster (1914-1945).
18. Entrepreneurial Japan: Politics and Economy (1945-1990).
19. Society and Environment (1945-1990).
20. The Culture of Entrepreneurial Japan (1945-1990).
Epilogue: Japan Today and Tomorrow.
A. Tables I-X.
B. Chinese Words: Wade-Giles & Pinyin Orthographies.
C. Glossary of Japanese Terms.
- New edition of this successful single-volume history of Japan from c.8000 BC to the present day.
- The first edition was widely praised for combining sophistication and accessibility.
- Covers a wide range of subjects, including geology, climate, agriculture, government and politics, culture, literature, media, foreign relations, imperialism, and industrialism.
- Updated to include an epilogue on Japan today and tomorrow.
- Now includes more on women in history and more on international relations.
- Bibliographical listings have been updated and enlarged.