Innovating Strategy Processes
February 2005, Wiley-Blackwell
Introduction (Steven W. Floyd, Johan Roos, Claus D. Jacobs, Franz W. Kellermanns).
Part I: The Genesis of Innovative Strategy Making. .
1. Entrepreneurial Orientation as a Source of Innovative Strategy (Gregory G. Dess and G. T. Lumpkin).
2. Entrepreneurship, Organizational Learning and Capability Building: A Governance Perspective (Eric Gedajlovic and Shaker Zahra).
3. Homesteading on the Endless Frontier: Mapping Science to Cultivate Innovation (Peter Lane).
4. The Pre-history of Strategy Processes (Patrick Regnér).
5. Strategy Formation Effects on Managerial Action (J. Ignacio Canales and Joaquim Vilà).
6. Strategy Creation as Serious Play (Claus D. Jacobs and Matt Statler).
7. Strategy as Art: Using a Creative Action-Based Model for Strategy Formulation (Frances Fabian and dt Ogilvie) .
Part II: Contexts for Innovation and Strategy Making. .
8. Critical Issues in Learning Processes (Marjorie Lyles, Charles Dhanaraj Kevin Steensma).
9. Rethinking the Strategy Process: A Co-evolutionary Approach (Henk W. Volberda).
10. Distributed Agency and Interactive Emergence (Raghu Garud and Peter Karnøe).
11. Making Strategy in the Multi-business Firm (Sotirios Paroutis and Andrew Pettigrew).
12. Explaining the Process of Internationalization by Building Bridges among Existing Models (Alvaro Cuervo-Cazurra and Miguel Ramos).
13. Informal Controls at Work: Affecting Behavior amidst Uncertainty (James Pappas and Karen Flaherty).
14. The Role of Social Context for Strategy Making: Examining the Impact of Embeddedness on the Performance of Strategic Initiatives (Karolin Marx and Christoph Lechner).
15. Strategic Consensus and Constructive Confrontation: Unifying Forces in the Resource Accumulation Process (Franz W. Kellermanns and Steven W. Floyd) .
Part III: Innovative Models of Strategy Process. .
16. What Really is Strategic Process (Mark Kriger).
17. Micro Strategy and Strategizing: Implications for Strategy Process Research (Gerry Johnson Richard Whittington and Leif Melin).
18. Strategic Renewal and the Entrepreneurial Mind: The Importance of Cognition and Learning (Andrew C. Corbett).
19. Emotional Attachment and Conflict in Strategic Decision Making in New Ventures (Otto Koppius, Fedde Germans, and Rogier Vos).
20. The Search Process and Dimensions of Long-Term Growth (Gaurab Bhardwaj John C. Camillus and David A. Hounshell) .
Part IV: Integrating Theory and Practice. .
21. Strengthening our Practices as an Academic Field of Inquiry (Anne S. Huff).
22. On the Moral Necessity of Strategy Making (Bart Victor).
23. Reflections on the Field of Strategy (Taieb Hafsi and Howard Thomas).
24. Regaining Relevance Lost (Bala Chakravarthy).
25. I Matter – Remaining the First Person in Strategy Research (Johan Roos).
Johan Roos a former Professor of Strategy and General Management, is now the Director of Lausanne-based Imagination Lab Foundation.
Claus D. Jacobs is Research Fellow with the Imagination Lab Foundation in Lausanne.
Franz W. Kellermanns is Assistant Professor of Management at the Mississippi State University’s College of Business and Industry.
- A series of reflective essays by established and emerging scholars on the subject of innovation, considering it both as an outcome of strategy and as a process in itself.
- Contains new ideas and rich case descriptions that will trigger creative thinking about how to design a more innovative strategy process.
- Offers new conceptual frameworks for analyzing and designing strategy process.
- Addresses cutting-edge topics, such as play as the means and art as the impetus for strategy-making; the role of emotion in new venture decision-making; and science and entrepreneurship as a source of innovative strategies.
- Signals the future direction of the field.