Overstretched: European Families Up Against the Demands of Work and Care
July 2005, Wiley-Blackwell
1. Editorial Introduction: European Families Stretched between the Demands of Work and Care (Jorma Sipilä and Teppo Kröger).
2. Atypical Working Hours: Consequences for Childcare Arrangements (Blanche Le Bihan and Claude Martin).
3. Managing Work and Care: A Difficult Challenge for Immigrant Families (Karin Wall and José Sâo José).
4. Combining Work and Family in Two Welfare State Contexts: A Discourse Analytical Perspective (Katja Repo).
5. Family Commitments under Negotiation: Dual Carers in Finland and Italy (Minna Zechner).
6. Work and Care Strategies of European Families: Similarities or National Differences (Trine P. Larsen).
7. Caregiving in Transition in Southern Europe: Neither Complete Altruists nor Free Riders (Simonetta Simoni and Rossana Trifiletti).
8. Managing the Family: Productivity, Scheduling and the Male Veto (John Baldock and Jan Hadlow).
Jorma Sipilä is Professor of Social Policy and Social Work at the University of Tampere in Finland. His previous publications include The Young, the Old and the State: Social Care Systems in Five Industrial Countries (2003) and Social Care Services: The Key to the Scandinavian Welfare Model (1997).
- A collection of essays providing new perspectives on the reality of European family life where care and paid work need to be woven together on a daily basis.
- Focuses on families who live under strained conditions, such as lone parent families, immigrant families, and families who care simultaneously for both their children and an elderly family member.
- Based on interviews with families from Finland, France, Italy, Portugal and the UK.
- Develops methods for doing comparative qualitative analysis in practice.
- Offers new insights into the problems of gender balance in caring, and the significance of cultural notions and working hours.
- Offers an opportunity to discuss and evaluate care policies in a new light.
Overstretched: European Families Up Against the Demands of Work and Care (US $39.95)
-and- The Times They Are Changing?: Crisis and the Welfare State (US $34.95)
Total List Price: US $74.90
Discounted Price: US $56.17 (Save: US $18.73)