Greek: A History of the Language and its Speakers, 2nd Edition
March 2010, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: E-book
Preface to the Second Edition.
The Greek Alphabet.
Introduction: The Scope and Purpose of This Book.
Part I: Ancient Greek: From Mycenae to the Roman Empire.
1. The Ancient Greek Dialects.
2. Classical Greek: Official and Literary ‘Standards’.
3. The Rise of Attic.
4. Greek in the Hellenistic World.
5. Greek in the Roman Empire.
6. Spoken Koine in the Roman Period.
Part II: Byzantium: From Constantine I to Mehmet the Conqueror.
7. Historical Prelude.
8. Greek in the Byzantine Empire: The Major Issues.
9. Byzantine Belles Lettres.
10. The Written Koine in Byzantium.
11. Spoken Greek in the Byzantine Empire: The Principal Developments.
12. Texts in the ‘Vernacular’.
Part III: Modern Greek: From the Ottoman Empire to the European Union.
13. Ottoman Rule and the War of Independence.
14. Spoken Greek in the Ottoman Period.
15. Written Greek in the Turkish Period.
16. The History of the Modern Greek State.
17. The ‘Language Question’ and its Resolution.